xxxiii

saeko was surprised to have oikawa stop by randomly at eight in the evening.

"hey, kid, visiting hours are over, what's up?"

"i want to stay here tonight," oikawa said with teary eyes. "please let me stay." saeko sighed as she pulled him in for a hug.

"i suppose i can let you sleep in a spare bed," she muttered. "for this once, understood?"

oikawa nodded. "is he still awake?"

"go to him. i'll get you a change of clothes, if you don't mind. you know the ritual."

"thanks, saeko," he whispered gratefully, before heading over to iwaizumi's room.

iwaizumi was in his bed, reading a book. it wasn't until oikawa cleared his throat that he noticed him.

"tooru..? why are you here?" he asked, surprised.

"because my parents are shitty," he mumbled, walking over to him. "and you always manage to cheer me up."

"what happened?"

"they're making me start volleyball again."

iwaizumi looked down. "oh."

"yeah," oikawa whispered. "but i'm not gonna do it!"

"no, you should," iwaizumi said, looking up at him. "i'll miss your company, but you should."

"no, no, i'm n—"

"oikawa. please?"

the brunet looked at him.

"why do you want me to?"

"it's good for you. you should get fit again, or you'll end up as skinny as i."

"iwa-chan..."

"promise me you'll do it?"

"fine," oikawa huffed.

saeko wheeled the hospital bed in, overhearing their conversation. iwaizumi smiled at her.

"what's the results?"

"shit kid, they didn't come in yet," she sighed, scratching the back of her head. "i'll tell you first thing when my shift starts tomorrow, okay?"

"yeah, sounds good," iwaizumi replied.

saeko exited the room, clipboard stiffly under her arm, before they could say anything else.

not today, she thought to herself. let them have a peaceful night, at least.