22

A/N
How many times have you read this story, be honest with me here
Also *completely disregards canon events, not because this is fan fiction and not canon so it's different (I would love to write in Peridot and her power and all that stuff), but because I can't be bothered*
H/t means your hair texture (curly, straight, wavy, etc.), h/c means your hair color, s/c means your skin color, e/c means your eye color

I'm distracted by the bright glow of Pearl's gem. I look up from my book to see her.

Now that I think about it, confessing love to her might be a bad idea.

She still looks sad, and her hair is like it was when she was with Rose. Maybe she's trying to remind herself of when Rose was around. Other than that, she looks the same.

"Pearl..." I say. She looks at me and smiles slightly, or rather, frowns less. "Here, come with me." I take her hand and lead her outside. Though surprised, she follows.

"Tell me a story. A story about you, a story about Rose, Y/N, Garnet, Amethyst, anyone, just tell me a story." Pearl frowns at my mention of Y/N, but her curiosity and confusion take over her face immediately after.

"Wh-why?" She asks.

"Fine, I'll tell you one first," I respond. "After Rhodonite was killed, I turned to you for support. You told me to think of good times and stories that I could tell, and I'm fresh out of comforting ideas so I was thinking of you and I decided to try something out of the ordinary based off of something in the ordinary."

"Okay... Any story?"

"Yep, anything!"

"Okay... A little while ago, Steven walked into the temple, holding hands with a human who was following him. She had beautiful (h/t) (h/c) hair touching her smooth, perfect (s/c) face, blemished only by her facial features and amazing (e/c) eyes. Steven introduced her as (Y/N). She stayed over that night, and I found her in my room. Reflexively, I used my weapon and wounded her. If I had known she would change my life, I would have been more careful... Steven called the hospital immediately upon seeing (Y/N) with a huge open wound like that. It was raining that night, and when the ambulance came and we stepped out, rain had gathered in the crevices of the temple statue's eyes, and it looked like it was crying... We rushed her to the hospital, me and Steven riding with her in the ambulance." Pearl starts crying.

"You don't have to finish the story if you don't want to... but I'd like to hear more" I mumble the last part, then add on "I like hearing your voice." As a whisper.

"No, no, it's fine... I'll finish it." Pearl didn't hear what I whispered I guess. "When we got there, Steven stayed for about an hour, but then he got tired, and I called Garnet to come get him. She walked to the hospital, and walked back with Steven in her arms. The next morning, (Y/N) woke up when I was talking to myself, babbling like an idiot. I felt so much emotion after such a long time, so I kissed her. Somehow... she kissed back. It was incredible. I went back to the temple, and told the gems what had happened Garnet freaked out and unfused, Ruby and Sapphire taking different sides. Me and (Y/N) came up with sort of a plan to fix that, but we ended up straying off the plan, though in the end we got the same result."

"That was really interesting, do you have any more?" I rush to think of a response.

"Do you want to hear more? I could tell you more." Pearl responds.

"Yeah, sure!"

Pearl tells me the whole story of Y/N, even her death. She said she never got to say she loved her. Due to the length of the stories, we're out well into the night.

"We should go back to the temple. Steven's probably asleep by now..." I say. I normally would sleep through the night, but while Pearl was in her gem I didn't. I act like I have no idea why, but no, it was because I was worried about her. I feel... Tired, if that makes any sense. Both like I physically have no energy, and like I've been in some boring routine for such a long time. I take Pearl's hand and, together, we walk back to the temple. Pearl opens her room and we go in. Immediately I lay down and sleep.