Lilin

You call it a demon.  I call it my flame.  -  Michelle Chamuel (Face The Fire)

I.

Lilin, audi nos

It was morning.  The sunlight was streaming through the windows, bathing the kitchen with its airy, bright light.  She was eating cereal by their kitchen counter.  Well, she wasn't really.  She was simply staring at it, letting the cereal get soggy in the milk.  She was tired, her whole body spent, even though she just woke up.

"Honey, eat up.  We need to leave in a few," her new husband of just three months told her, as he walked in and fixed his tie in front of the mirror by the hallway.

"I'm not really hungry," she mumbled, still staring at the soggy cereal.

"Come on, then.  We'll both be late for work if we don't get a move on."

She sighed, standing up to grab her shoulder bag and ran a hand through her limp hair then across her face, noting the tired, red-rimmed eyes she has when she passed the same mirror in the hallway.

I wonder why I've been feeling tired lately even after I get a decent amount of sleep at night.

II.

Miserere nobis

"How's work today, hon?" he asked, fixing her some chamomile tea before going to bed.

"It was all right.  Tiring more than usual. I don't get why I'm always tired in the morning even before work," she answered, her smile not reaching her eyes.

They were back again in the kitchen, just having finished dinner, looking like your everyday normal couple, talking about their day.  He watched her as she murmured her thanks when he gave her the steaming cup of tea.  He watched as she took a sip of the tea, smirking behind his own cup.  He watched as she closed her eyes, smiling while she took another hearty sip.

Just a few more sips...

III.

Et det nobis pacem

He carried her towards their bedroom when she finally fell forward on the kitchen table, suddenly asleep.  He laid her gently on the bed and stripped her bare then he went to their closet and took a white silk, shift dress and dressed her in it.

Once he was sure that she wouldn't be waking up anytime soon, he took off his own clothes and dressed in a hooded, blood red robe, putting the hood up to hide his face.

*Ding-dong*

Right on time.

He walked towards the front door, putting out all the lights, engulfing the house in darkness. When he opened the door, there he met his brothers and sisters, all in hooded white robes, with their hoods up, hiding each of their faces as well.

He opened the door wider to let them in.  One by one, they walked in slowly and silently, in a single file.  They all knew where to go by now.  When he was sure that everyone was accounted for, he closed the door and walked towards their bedroom, noting that all his brothers and sisters were now standing in a circle around their bed.

He took his place in the middle by the foot of their bed and simply began chanting, murmuring the prayer that they had been praying for the past month.  One by one, the rest of his brothers and sisters followed his chanting.  Invoking and summoning Lilin, praying for guidance. Praying for success. Praying for much power from him.  Offering his own wife as a sacrifice.  Because Lilin needed to be satisfied.  And the only way to satisfy Lilin was to give him an unsuspecting sleeping woman to ravish.