Chapter 19

(January 12, 9:14 a.m.)

"Zayn....Zaynieee. Wake up Zayn! Come on, get up!"

My eyes open wide when I feel the cool winter air touch my skin as Niall pulls off my blanket. I scramble, trying to find any sign of warmth, but it's no use. I curse myself for going to bed without a shirt.

I blink rapidly before clearly seeing a messy-haired Niall, grinning in front of me. I give a short smile and kiss his nose. He frowns when I pull away and I shrug in confusion. Niall rolls his eyes.

"It's a very special day today and that's all you're going to give me?" He pouts

"Why, is it your birthday? Did Kwanzaa come late this year?" I ask with a rugged but sarcastic voice.

He rolls his eyes. "I'd normally be mad at your sarcasm but since your sexy voice made up for it I'll let it slide." He ignores my smug expression but I see him smile as he looks away.

I suddenly remembered how cold I was and reach out for Niall, who is in his adorable snowman pajamas. He tries to flee and giggles as he fails, and finally snuggles in my arms. I kiss the side of his cheek.

"Niall, I love you so much, but you wake up too damn early." I say with a chuckle.

"I know, but what can I say? I always wake up early this time of year."

"Well, it's really cold and hardly anyone is up, so let's just stay like this for a while."

Our legs intertwine and my right hand rests on his waist. We stay silent and I just enjoy his company. Of course I know it's my birthday, it's all he's been talking about this whole week. It's actually pretty adorable. I'm just messing with him.

"Zayn?"

"Yes, babe?"

"Happy birthday."

I smile and gently kiss the top of his head, loving the way his hair tickles my chin.

We stay in my bed for a while longer. There's literally no point in getting up, so why bother?

The past month has been a blur, besides those small intimate moments I've shared with Niall. I can't believe it's my birthday. The age I've been dying to become is finally here. Unfortunately, the joy that I longed for isn't here.

Everyone I know is already applying for colleges and scholarships. Harry found out yesterday that UCLA loved him, and he's leaving a week after graduation, but only him and I know that.

Wow, graduation. I've always known this day would come, and to be honest I've never been prepared. I just figured that after high school I'd start working in auto mechanics or something, but now that I think about it, I never wanted to do that.

I'm very proud of Harry. Leaving to America is a huge step. It's a whole other world over there, with their money and cars and roads. It's going to be a lot to learn, but Harry's a big boy and he can do it.

It's just what bothers me is Niall being cold on the topic of college. He hasn't even told me what he wants to major in. Hell, he hasn't even told me where he wants to go to college. Then again, I haven't told him where I want to go to college either. College is on the least of my worries and biggest worries list.

I place a small kiss on Niall's neck and feel him shiver.

"Niall, what college do you want to go to?"

I feel Niall stiffen and he lets out a breath.

"Um, I'm not, um, entirely sure, um, yet." He hesitates.