{ twenty three }

—

Jinyoung could already hear them when they were walking down the hallway. They were loud, calling for Mark to come reunite with them after so long. Mark stops at the end of the hallway, giving Jinyoung's hand a final squeeze.

"It'll be okay, alright? They're nice people." Mark says, smiling softly and going to the front door. Jinyoung sighs, following behind him.

Jinyoung watched as the friends engulfed him into a giant group hug, yelling variations of 'we missed you' and 'we're glad you're back, Mark'.

"Yah, yah okay!" Mark says, laughing. "Come on in, the party is about to get started."

"You're even more handsome from the last time I saw you, Markie~" Holly says, grinning and taking a seat on the couch.

"Stop kissing his ass, Holly," One of them says, laughing. "He probably got himself a sexy girlfriend when he was up in Korea."

"Nah," Mark says, leaning against the wall. "I'm still, uh, single."

Jinyoung felt like a arrow had just hit him in the chest. It hurt so bad for someone to deny the fact that they're taken. He tried to walk back to the bedroom, but Mark grabbed his shoulder before he could do so.

"Yah, but I did bring Jinyoung back with me!" Mark says, smiling. "He's my roommate back at school."

Jinyoung wanted to scream so loudly, scream at all these stupid people that Mark was lying and that he was his boyfriend. But he stayed silent, glancing over at the others.

"These are my friends, Jinyoung," Mark says, "There's Holly, Andrew, Wendy, Jeff, Jessica, and Nathan."

"Nice to meet you." Jinyoung says, gritting his teeth. He couldn't possibly believe that he was saying those words. But he figured if Mark was going to lie about their relationship, he could lie about liking his friends.

"Well, let's get this party started!" Andrew says, standing up and walking outside to the backyard, where the pool and everything was. The others follow, seeming to strip from their clothes to bathing suits they had underneath.

"We'll be right back," Jinyoung says, grabbing Mark's hand and pulling him to the bedroom.

"I can't believe you," Jinyoung says, scoffing. "You're such a liar!"

"Jinyoungie, please,"

"Don't 'Jinyoungie' me, Mark! You promised. You promised you would tell them, not just say more lies!" Jinyoung says, his eyes glaring daggers at Mark.

"Listen, Jinyoung,"

"What do I have to listen to?! You kissing up to me just to try and make things better, and then go back and lie to your friends? I'm done with it, Mark! I'm done." Jinyoung says, sitting down on the bed. "I wanna go home."

"You don't understand," Mark says, sighing. "I haven't even came out to them, Jinyoung. I'm just trying to keep this week simple."

"It's not simple for me." Jinyoung says, pulling out his phone. "You're gonna drive me to the airport tonight."

"That's nonsense," Mark says, grabbing his hand. "You're staying here. I'm not driving you."

"I'll ask Joey then," Jinyoung says, "I'm sure he will. He's not a liar, unlike his brother."

"Jinyoung..." Mark says, sitting in the ground in front of him. "Please just come hangout. The party will be fun. I–"

"You promise, right? You always promise, Mark. And you never keep your promises."

"I don't promise. I know you're not going to have fun... I know. Just please... I don't wanna disappoint my friends and family."

"Your family won't be disappointed. They already know. You go ahead, go play with your friends. I'll be out there, but not hanging out with your friends and you. I don't want to hangout with a bunch of snakes." Jinyoung says, scoffing. Mark sighs, nodding and changing into his swim suit. Jinyoung does the same, following him to the backyard.

Jinyoung sits in the shade, around a few of Mark's family members. His family made him feel safe, and he was thankful that they were there. Mark goes off into the pool with his friends, though Jinyoung could feel him staring his way.

"Uncle Jinyoung, what's wrong?" One of the nieces says, looking up at him.

Jinyoung sighed, "Nothing, sweetie. Just... A little confused." He says, giving her a soft smile.

a/n: the sNAKES ARE UPON US 🐍

I hope you enjoyed!
please vote / comment, I really appreciate it!
thanks, ilysm~
-author em