Dress to impress

Please check out Dark times on my profile and my other books.
Thank you

Makenzie pov

That night I didn't go to sleep.

10:17 PM and I couldn't stop thinking about Jace.

His name, his image, his scent roaming through my mind all night with the thought of me being with him.

Made my stomach do cartwheels and spins but it also made me scared because of my parents' relationship.

My mom lost her mate to a war and my dad's mate was "killed". That's what he told my mother and she believed him. He lied to my mother for 3 years then left her. By then my brother was already one and I was on the way. My mother was destroyed and heart broken. Just when my mother was doing better and moving on starting getting into a steady life without thinking of my father, she died. I was ten by then.

Would Jace ever do something like that to me? I couldn't think like that! I tossed and turned the whole night thinking about Jace. It's official, I loved Jace with everything in me and I couldn't wait to be with him for the first time ever. I couldn't wait for the weekend to end and to go back to sleep Monday to see Jace.

The next morning when I got up I couldn't help but feel happy as I walked down stairs with a smile on my face. I saw my brother eating some cereal at the table.

"Good morning Derrek." I said smile ear to ear

"Um... Hey Makenzie?" he had this very curious look on his face.

"So how did you sleep?" I sat down next to him with a bowl in my hand.

"Ok stop right there. Who are you and what did you do with my sister?"

"What I can't how my big brother is?"

"No you can't it's too social for you." he chuckled. I held my ground with a smile and pretended I thought it was funny.

"Can I borrow your car keys? I'll be back before you have to go to your party, I promise. Please?" I said with my best sad face.

"Ha ha! Funny! Now what do you really want?" his face got serious.

"That is what I really want. Please? I hardly ask you for anything and you know it Derrek!" I study his face carefully. He moved his head side to side reached in his pocket and handed me his keys. "Be careful. Don't just park her anywhere, oh and don't put cheap gas in her and make sure you park it in a place where you can keep an eye on her and-"

"Derrek, I got it don't mess her up I'm going now!"

"You sure you don't want me to take you because I can if you wan-"

"No I'm fine bye now!" I left before he got a chance to say anything. I decide to make this a shopping day a "buy-all-new-clothes-and-get-my-hair-done-all-for-my-mate" day. I wanted to impress him. I got home with about 27 different bags filled with shoes and clothes. I felt my body freeze as I saw Jace sitting on the couch. I felt his heavy gaze on me I snapped out of it put down my bags on the ground and walked over to Derrek handing him his keys, Jace's eyes watching my every movement. "Thanks, Derrek, for letting me use your car." I said trying to sound as calm as possible.

"Uh, your welcome I'm leaving in an hour. Moneys on the counter for food, k?"

I nodded and walked away calmly and went to my room with my bags.

I can't wait until me and Jace can be together. I hope it soon cause I don't think I can wait.

Jace's pov

By morning, I had made up my mind I was going to reject Makenzie. Even though I know that Derrek would kill me, I had to do it. Everyone expected me to be alpha in a year plus Summer was my girlfriend and she would not be happy if she found out that Makenzie was my mate. This would be for the better if I did this I'll just go to her house and tell her my reasons. Hope she'll understand. I didn't want to hurt her, in an odd way I loved her. But this is what's best. I don't need her to worry right now. My pack and duties come first. Maybe she'll move on to marry someone else and Summer and I will stay together. It all works out perfectly

I went to her house and knocked on the door expecting to see her answer but Derrek did instead. "Hey what up?" he looked surprised to see me.

"Hey is Makenzie here? I need to borrow her notes." I lied.

"No, she took my truck and left. She did leave you a note in her room."

"No, I'll just wait." Derrek opened the door and let me in.

We sat there for hours talking until finally we heard a car pull up and the front door opened. Makenzie came in with like 30 bags of clothes. She seemed shocked to see me here. She walked over to Derrek and handed him his keys.

"Thanks, Derrek, for letting me use your car." she said. Her voice was soft and light and-

I got to stop this. I have to stop thinking about her like this! She just a pack member that's it! But then why couldn't I stop looking at her?