Short Story: Two-Bit's "Lullaby"

It was a typical evening in the Curtis household. Darry had told his kid brothers, Sodapop and Ponyboy, to start getting prepared for bed. The two younger brothers put their pajamas on and jumped onto their bed in their room.

Pony crawled underneath the covers and snuggled into the pillow, but before he could even close his eyes, he heard an unbearable noise. It took him to realize that the noise was none other than Darry's snoring. He hated the sound of people snoring; it got on his nerves, and couldn't fall asleep.

The door swung open and Two-Bit appeared. Two-Bit came over and starting poking Pony for no apparent reason. "Hey kid," he whispered, "you asleep?" Pony sat up angrily. "Well I was trying to," He said, "but Darry's snoring is keeping me awake. And now you're keeping me awake."

Now Soda had woken up. "Whadd'ya want, Two-Bit?" Soda asked sleepily. "The kid can't fall asleep." Two-Bit replied. Soda sat up a little bit and wrapped an arm around Ponyboy. "Is Darry's snoring making it hard for you to go to sleep?" Pony nodded. "Do you want me give give you a back rub?" To Soda's surprise, Pony shook his head no. "Sometimes they hurt." He said. Soda nodded.

Two-Bit thought for a moment. Then he smiled. "Hey kid, how 'bout I sing you a lullaby?" He asked the young greaser. "A lullaby?" Pony questioned. "Really?" "Yeah, c'mon, Pony. Believe me, you'll fall asleep in no time."

Knowing he'd regret this, Ponyboy lay back down on the bed and snuggled into the pillow again, but only because he was at wit's end. Two-Bit cleared his throat and began to sing:

Close your eyes,

Shut your mouth,

Dream a dream,

And get us out

Dream, dream, dream, dream, dream, dream.

Hit the hay,

Fast asleep,

Dream a dream,

You little bleep!

Dream, dream, dream, dream, dream, dream...

The two older greasers looked down to see Ponyboy asleep with a big smile. Soda grinned big.

"I think he likes it, Two-Bit." Soda said happily. "Sing more." Two-Bit continued.

Just relax,

Lay about,

Or my fist will put you out!

Dream, dream, dream, dream, dream dream.

Take your time,

But beware,

There is darkness in the air!

Dream, dream, dream, dream, dream, dream...

Seeing that Ponyboy was still asleep and happy, Two-Bit decided to continue.

Don't despair,

Step right up!

Glass of water?

Here's a cup!

Dream, dream, dream, dream, dream, dream...

All of a sudden, Pony's face contorted. His eyebrows furrowed together and curled into a ball as he started to kick his feet. Then he started tossing and turning, shouting his brothers's names.

Soda immediately noticed this and tried to shake him awake. Then he turned to Two-Bit.
"Two-Bit!" He yelled. "Pony's havin' a nightmare! Stop singin', you're scarin' him!"

When Two-Bit saw the expression on Pony's face, he stopped singing. Soda continued shaking his brother when Ponyboy's eyes shot open. He sat up, panting, sweating, and confused.

"W-What happened?" Ponyboy whimpered. Sodapop brushed the wisps of hair out of Pony's face. "Two-Bit's lullaby gave you nightmares." The two Curtises looked at said greaser. "Two-Bit, you've done enough," Sodapop said firmly, "get out."

Two-Bit nearly shrugged as he got up and left the room. "It was worth a shot." He mumbled as he headed to the fridge to grab a beer.

A/N: Hope you guys liked this short story! Earlier I watched Sharkboy and Lavagirl on Netflix and that's how I got this idea! And if you're wondering, the lullaby Two-Bit sings is "The Dream Song" from the same movie. Stay gold!