Short Story: It's Just A Little Thunder

A/N: This is a Jally one-shot for GoneWithTheOutsiders 's contest. Enjoy!

It was as if it was out of nowhere. It just happened.

The rain began to pour as 16-year-old Johnny Cade tried to protect himself with some old newspapers. He had ran to lot, his second home pretty much, when his father once again came home rip-roarin' drunk and beat him. Johnny was sore. His entire body covered in bluish-purple bruises, he had a black eye, and his nose was also bleeding.

Along with the rainstorm came thunder, followed by lightning. Johnny jumped and yelped at the sound of the lightning, covering his head with more newspaper. He buried his face into the old, dirty mattress that he was laying on.

"Golly...it s-s-s-sure is ch-chilly out here...." Johnny muttered to himself, his teeth chattering. More thunder was heard, followed by a flash of lightning, causing Johnny to scream and bury his face into his arms. He shivered, only wearing an old shirt with tattered jeans.

Eventually, Johnny made a decision to find a place to stay. It was far too cold to stay here the night, and he didn't want to bother the Curtises. When he was there earlier, Darry and Ponyboy had gotten into an argument, probably about homework. There was a lot of screaming, which caused Johnny to leave hastily. He didn't want to wake any of them; all three of them must've had a long day.

Johnny made a second decision to go to Buck's and find Dallas. Frankly, Johnny had always had feelings for Dally. He just looked so attractive and sweet on the inside. Johnny knew that Dallas also felt the same way about Johnny, because Dally would always stick up for him and protect him, especially around Socs. Johnny smiled to himself at the thought of Dally, then got up and began to walk to Buck's, limping a bit.

---

Johnny reluctantly knocked on Buck's door. Even though he really wanted to see Dallas, Johnny was worried that Buck wouldn't let him in. Johnny was hurt even worse than before he left. On his way there, a few Socs found and jumped him pretty bad. He was drenched from the rain and had more bruises and cuts than before his dad beat him earlier.

A few minutes later, Buck answered. He had a toothpick in his mouth and had a beer bottle in his hand. "Whatcha want, kid?" He slurred. Johnny winced. Buck was wasted. He could smell the alcohol in his breath. He gulped. "I-I-I need Dallas..." Johnny whimpered, shaking like a leaf.

Buck tilted his head. "Can't hear ya." He said. "I-I-I need Dallas..!" Johnny repeated a little louder. Buck tilted his head again and walked back to the party, closing the door behind him. Johnny sighed. Guess he had to go back to lot. But just as Johnny was about to leave, he heard a familiar voice.

"Johnnycake?"

Johnny turned to the voice. It was Dallas. Johnny's eyes widened and ran to Dally, hugging him tightly. He was shivering something fierce. Dally hugged him back. "What's the matter kid?" He asked. Then Dally saw how hurt Johnny was. "Holy crap kid! What happened to ya?!?"

"L-L-Let's go upstairs first...." Johnny said quietly. Dally nodded and picked Johnny and went upstairs with him. Once they got up there, Johnny broke. He began to bawl as he told Dallas everything, his father beating him, the rain, the thunder, the lightning, and the Socs jumping him. As if it were on cue, thunder was once again heard, making Johnny cry harder.

Dally sighed and laid back, holding Johnny close and letting him cry into his chest. He couldn't help but feel bad for the kid. He's got such a rough life, both of them do. To be honest, Dallas loved Johnny, and he hated to see him cry.

"Shh..." Dally hushed into Johnny's ear, trying to soothe him. "It's alright Johnnycake, it's just thunder....it's just a little thunder...it ain't gonna hurt ya...I'm here...shhh...shh.." After a while, Johnny calmed down and looked up at Dallas. "D-D-Dally....I gotta tell you something...." "Yea, kid what is it?" Dally replied. Johnny gulped, trying to find the words.

"I-I-I love you..." Johnny finally said. "I love you so much Dallas, I can't even explain it. I fell in love ever since day one, but I just didn't have the guts to tell you...u-until now..."

Dallas suddenly felt a feeling he's never felt before with anyone: true, deep love. He smiled big and kissed Johnny. Johnny's eyes widened but he kissed back. When they pulled away, Dallas said, "I love you too baby." Johnny eyes watered happily as he grinned. "I've always had feelings for ya as well....I didn't tell ya because I thought ya wouldn't appreciate it."

Johnny smiled bigger and laid next to Dally, snuggling into his chest. Dally pulled up the blanket and covers them both. He kissed Johnny's head. "Goodnight baby....I love you to the moon and back..." were Dally's last words before Johnny fell asleep.

--

A/N: Awwww so much Jally fluff! I hope you liked it GoneWithTheOutsiders and everyone else reading! Stay gold!!!

~ TJ