Short Story: Embarrassing Older Brothers

A/N: Dedicated to sonabardakk  . This short story/one shot is based on Headcanon (12).

"Visors?"

"Check."

"Fanny packs?"

"Check."

"Sunglasses?"

"Check."

"First-Aid kit?"

"Check."

"Fresh oranges?"

"Check."

"100% organic juice boxes?"

"Check."

"Perfect! We're all set for Ponyboy's track meet!" Sodapop said happily as he held up a huge duffel bag. Him and Darry were getting ready to go watch Ponyboy's track meet. Every week, Pony had his track meet, and every single time, Soda and Darry always bring way too many things. They're like those really embarrassing stereotypical parents.

Darry came over and zipped up the duffel bag and swung it around his shoulder. "Ready to go, little buddy?" Darry asked Sodapop. "Yeah," Soda said, "Just one thing: do you think Pony and his friends'll like their fruit and juice boxes? Can't we just bring 'em chocolate cake?" "Soda, you can't just give athletes cake after a run. It ain't healthy." The blonde nodded.

---

The older brothers finally arrived at Ponyboy's high school. Both of them were wearing the sunglasses, visors, and fanny packs. Darry was carrying the duffel bag, and Soda was jumping around, trying to find Pony. Once he spotted his younger brother, Soda went insane.

He was waving his hand excessively, jumping around like a toddler that ate too much candy. "Pony! Ponyboy! Hi! Hi! HI!!!!!" Soda screeched as loud as he could.

Ponyboy, who was preparing for the race with his teammates, saw Soda and Darry, and covered his face with his hands. "Oh no..." The young greaser muttered. One of his teammates, Wil, also noticed the two older brothers.

"Hey Curtis, are those your brothers?" Wil asked. Ponyboy looked up and blushed. "Uh...no. I've never met those guys in my life."
Wil shrugged.

Ponyboy ran up to Sodapop and Darry. "Guys, what're you doing?" He hissed. "Whadd'ya mean honey?" Darry asked. "We always come to your track meets." "Okay, but can you try not to be embarrassing?" "We dig, Pony, go have fun." Soda said, grinning.

---

Ponyboy Curtis was currently in first place. This was his final lap and he was about to win the medal. Because of this, Darry and Soda were going nuts. They were standing up on the bleachers, screaming and waving those foam number 1 fingers in the air. The kinds you get as baseball games.

"GO PONYBOY! GO PONYBOY! THAT'S OUR BABY BROTHER!" The two cheered, as Ponyboy's ears turned bright red from complete embarrassment. He could even hear some kids laughing.

One mother, who was clearly a Soc, was angered by Darry and Soda's excitement. They were blocking her view, so she was unable to watch her twin boys run.

"Can you greasy hoodlums sit your butts down and just watch?!?" She screamed. "I'm trying to watch my sons and you greasers are blocking me!"

Darry spun his head around and his face turned red. "Excuse me," he growled, "but my little brother is about to WIN! And we're cheering him on! Deal with it!"

Sodapop wanted to get in on this as well, so he turned around too. "Yeah DEAL WITH IT LADY!" The woman scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, keep rolling your eyes," Sodapop spat back, "maybe you'll find your brain back there."

The woman was about to fight back, when a whistle interrupted. "And Ponyboy Curtis has won!" At the sound of this, Sodapop turned back around, and him and Darry started screaming and cheering for Ponyboy once again.

---

When the race finished, Ponyboy went to the bathroom to clean up. As he reapplied grease to his hair, Pony kept thinking about Darry and Soda cheering him on.

He didn't mind the praise, just the words they used were a bit....embarrassing.

Ponyboy combed his hair and thought about the argument they had gotten into with the mother. What made it worse was that she was the mother of the Beauregard Boys; Oliver and Theodore Beauregard. He knew that the boys would find out, and Pony would be yelled at by them next week.

As he walked out of the locker room, he tried not to think about it, and admired his shiny gold medal.

But as soon as Ponyboy walked out of that locker room and caught a glimpse of what Sodapop and Darry were doing, his heart dropped.

His two older brother were standing behind a table. All of his teammates were lined up as Soda gave them each a juice box, and from Darry, an orange.

"...and here's your juice box. Great job!"

"Here, have an orange!"

"Take a juice box! You deserve it!"

"Don't forgot your orange!"

Ponyboy ran over to his brothers, obviously very embarrassed and angry. "Sodapop! Darry!" Pony yelled. "What're ya doing? I told you not to be embarrassing!"

Darry looked over at his youngest kid brother. "Honey we're not embarrassing you. We're just giving your friends some snacks." Soda nodded. "Yeah Pone! Have a juice box and relax!" He said as he handed Ponyboy a juice box.

Sighing, Pony took the juice box and stuck the straw in it. Darry smiled and gave him an orange. Ponyboy took the orange and sat underneath a nearby tree to eat.

'Maybe they're not that embarrassing.' Ponyboy thought as he peeked his orange. He looked over at his teammates and saw how much they were enjoying their fruit and juice boxes.

"I'm glad only Soda and Darry came." Pony mumbled to himself. "If the whole gang was here, that'd be really embarrassing..."

~ TJ