Short Story: The Spitting Images Of My Parents

A/N: This short story is based off of Headcanon (48), which was requested by @wrtingforever1 and @MagicalTwixters . Enjoy!

Ponyboy's POV:

"Pony, what do you want for breakfast?"

'.....'

"Did you hear me, Ponyboy?"

'....."

"Pones, answer Darry."

'N-No...'

"Ponyboy Michael, look at me when I'm talking to you."

'No....I can't, Darry..."

"PONYBOY!"

'Darry, you don't understand! I can't!'

Suddenly, I felt Darry pull me up by my shirt. I sat up, but I didn't make eye contact with neither him or Sodapop. "Ponyboy," Darry said firmly. "When I ask you a question, you look at me. Do it."

I didn't move.

He titled my chin up, but I quickly shut my eyes tight. I could tell that this only made Darry and Soda angrier. "Pony, open your eyes and look at us." Soda said, upset. That scared me real bad, 'cause Soda's never talked to me like that. I squeezed my eyes tighter.

"PONYBOY MICHAEL CURTIS!"
Darry suddenly roared, making me fall out of my seat. "OPEN YOUR EYES AND LOOK AT ME! WHY DON'T YA EVER LISTEN?!?"

Fearing Darry's voice, I backed away from him, under the table. I curled into a ball, still shutting my eyes, and starting crying, hard a loud. Not only did Darry make me upset, but I was also starting to miss Mom and Dad. Oh Mom and Dad... I started remembering the last things they told us before they left.

--

"Ponyboy, Sodapop, Darry is in charge for the week." Mom told us as she kissed our heads. Her and Dad were going on a cross-country road trip for the week, and they put Darry in charge.

Dad came over and ruffled my hair. "You be good for your older brother, you hear?" He asked. I nodded and hugged him. He hugged me back and went over to Soda, telling him the same thing.

Then he went to Darry, and affectionately smacked his back. "Take good care of Ponyboy and Sodapop, okay Junior?" Darry blushed, but nodded. "You can count on me, Dad." He replied. The thing that I loved was that even though he was twenty, Darry let Dad call him Junior.

Before they left, Soda and I waved goodbye. Mom gave Darry the last bit of instructions. "Make sure your brothers get to school on time!" She called out to him. "And, Darry, I left some college brochures on the kitchen table. I want you to start looking at them."

Later on, our parents left for their road trip, but little did the three of us know that they ain't never coming back.

--

Suddenly, I felt strong arms scoop me up. I knew that it was either Sodapop or Darry. Burying my face into his shoulder, I cried harder. He rubbed by back soothingly and started apologizing. Now I knew that it was Darry.

Finally, I looked up at Darry, my eyes wide open. It was so hard to look at my brothers. Soda looked too much like my mom, and Darry looked so much like my dad, it was scary. I cried harder, missing my parents even more. Their funeral was the day before and I had a nightmare last night, so I was already exhausted and upset.

Darry looked at me sorrowfully. "Oh Pony...I'm sorry I yelled at you, but when I tell you do something, you do it." He explained gently. "Now why weren't you looking at me or Soda?"

That didn't make me feel real hot. I whimpered and started to cry again. I felt Soda rub my back and hush me. Once I calmed down, I looked back at them.

"S-S-Sometimes....it's just so hard to look at you guys..." I whimpered. Darry stroked my hair, but Soda looked real lost. "Soda, when I look at you, all I see is Mom. You look exactly like her when she was younger. And D-Darry, when I look at you, I see Dad's face. You and him looked like brothers rather than father a son. You guys are the spitting images of Mom and Dad..."

I started bawling hysterically. I bawled so hard that I started coughing harshly. My chest hurt my coughing and crying so much. Darry and Soda hugged me tight and kissed my face all over. I held their hands tightly, feeling sorrow and emptiness inside.

"Shh.....Pones....Pony...shhh...relax honey...everything's gonna be okay..." Darry whispered, rubbing my back. "I know you miss them, we miss them too. We're all gonna miss them, but they'll always in here." He pointed to my heart, and I couldn't help but smile.

I eventually calmed down later on, as Soda and Darry comforted me. "Are you feeling better, Little Colt?" Soda asked me. I nodded. He smiled and stood up with Darry. Darry sat me in a chair and pushed me in. "So, what do you want to eat?" Soda asked.

"Do we got any cake?" I asked. Soda gave me weird look and searched the icebox. "Yea we got some..." He got it out and put on the table.

Darry looked over and sighed. "Pones, you ain't eating cake for breakfast." He said. I frowned. "Please Darry?" I begged. "It can be like our little....thing that we do." He sighed again, but nodded. "Fine..." Darry said. "But I'm making eggs too. We're gonna have to start rolling you to school if ya keep eating like that." I could tell he was kidding and playfully punched him. He chuckled."

I smiled as I ate breakfast with my brothers. Everything's gonna be okay. I knew that.

A/N: The ending was kinda rushed....but whatever, hope you guys liked it! Stay gold!!!

~ TJ