Short Story: The Hamburger

A/N: I got this idea from a fact I learned in a fact book from Wattpad. Apparently in Oklahoma, it's illegal to take a bite out of someone else's hamburger. Not sure if that's entirely true, but I decided it'd be funny to write. Enjoy!

Side note: I was doing research and found out the first McDonald's opened on April 15, 1955; Steve's birthday. Probably not the correct year, but still cool.

Dallas Winston and Two-Bit Mathews were lazily hanging out at the Curtis's house on their couch. Two-Bit being Two-Bit was playing hooky and decided to skip school today. Both boys were extremely bored. There had been a storm the night before and the power went out, so they couldn't watch Mickey Mouse on TV. Two-Bit was more upset than Dally was at this issue.

The boys couldn't even hang out with the other members of the gang, either. Sodapop, Steve, and Darry were all at work and Ponyboy and Johnny were at school.

"I'm so bored!" Two-Bit whined. "There's nothing to do in this dumb house!" The rust-colored haired boy threw his empty beer bottle on the floor out of anger, making it shatter to smithereens. Dallas groaned. "Right back at ya, buddy. Is there anymore cake?"

Two-Bit shook his head. "I checked." He said. "All out." Dallas screamed into a pillow on the couch. Chocolate cake was normally always in the Curtis's icebox, so it was surprising not to find even a single slice in the icebox.

Dallas took his face out of the pillow and threw it. The tow head's stomach growled. "And I'm hungry, too!" Dally complained. Two-Bit's stomach growled as well. "I'm hungry too! We all finished the cake at breakfast!"

Two-Bit looked at the clock on the wall, which read 12:30pm. "I ain't too good with clocks, but I think it's time we eat lunch." He said. "'Bout we go to McDonald's and grab a burger?" "Eh, alright."

--

"Alright, lunch is served." Two-Bit placed a tray full of food into the McDonald's table. He sat down across from Dally and started to eat his food. Dallas had ordered a quarter pounder with a side of medium fries. Two-Bit ordered a Big Mac with a side of large fries.

After a few minutes of talking and eating, Two-Bit got up to use the bathroom. When Two-Bit left, Dallas starting thinking. He had somehow already finished and quarter pounder and wanted some more burger. He picked up his friend's Big Mac and took a small bite of of it from the end where Two-Bit hadn't already touched.

Minutes later, Two-Bit came back from the bathroom. The bite that Dallas had taken was so small, that Two-Bit didn't even know. Before they were about to continue their meal, someone interrupted them.

"Hey ginger!" He yelled at Two-Bit. Said greaser turned to look at the man. "The tow head took a bite out of your hamburger!" "So?!" Two-Bit questioned. "Are you stupid? Taking a bite out of someone's hamburger is illegal in the state of Oklahoma! I'm calling the cops and have 'em arrest the blonde kid!"

Dallas and Two-Bit were stunned. Both of them  broke laws and got jailed many times by the fuzz before, but they had never heard of this law before. "He's probably just makin' it up." Two-Bit said.

Before they knew it, the fuzz were at McDonald's. "We got a call from this location that somebody took a bite out of someone's burger. Where is he?" An officer said.

"There!" The man yelled, pointing to the two greasers. "The tow head ate some of the ginger's hamburger!"

The cops rushed over to the boys's table. One of them grabbed Dallas's arm. "Well, well, well," the officer said, "what do we have here? I should've known it was Winston. Son, do you know that eating someone else's hamburger is a felony?" "Honesty sir, I didn't." Dallas replied.

One of the officers glared at Dallas. "Whatever." He said. "Put your hands behind you back. You're under arrest for breaking the state law."

The cop handcuffed Dallas and took him out of the restaurant, leaving Two-Bit completely clueless.

~ TJ