Short Story: Romper Room

A/N: FUN HISTORY LESSON: Back in 1953, there was this show called Romper Room. It was a kids show that taught children manners (ex. The hostess is always referred to as "Miss") and it was really cute. At the end, the hostess always puts a mirror up to the camera and recites names of the all the children she "sees" that are watching (ex. "I see Martin and Billy, there's Kyle and Janice and Elizabeth and I see Lily and Owen..etc). My mom used to watch it and she'd get frustrated when the hostess didn't say her name, so I thought it'd be fun to write a one shot where the Curtis brothers are little and watching Romper Room and Soda and Pony are getting upset because the hostess isn't saying their names. Sorry for the long author's note, enjoy the story!

Ages of the gang:

Darry: 10
Sodapop: 6 and a half
Ponyboy: 4
Johnny: 6
Steve: 7
Two-Bit: 8
Dallas: 7 and a half

It was a warm summer morning one weekend. All three Curtis brothers were gathered around the tv to watch their favorite Saturday morning show, Romper Room. Even though this show was mostly targeted at kids Pony's age, four or five, the entire gang enjoyed it, even Darry. However, the gang likes it for only one reason; at the end of every episode, the hostess will recite the names of the children who she "sees" through her magic mirror. Even Darry and Dally get excited when they heard their names.

Finally, the episode of Romper Room was coming to an end. The seven young boys gather closer to the tv.

"She's gonna say the names now!" Ponyboy announced, pointing to the tv. Sodapop gently put his brother's arm down. "Pony shh!" He hushed.

"Romper, stomper, bomper boo...." The hostess chanted, her magic mirror facing the camera. "Tell me, tell me, tell me, do. Magic Mirror, tell me today, did all my friends have fun at play?"

"I DID! I DID!" Two-Bit screamed, jumping up and down. "I HAD FUN AT PLAY!"

"Sit down Two-Bit!" Darry yelled. Even though he was only ten, he pretty much kept his gang in order.

"Let's see..." The hostess said. "I see Marcus, Hannah, and Gregory...Lucy's having a special day today....I see that Darrel's having a special day-"

Darry gasped. "She said my name!!! She said my name!!" He cheered.

"I see Danielle and McKenzie..." The hostess continued. "..and Edward and Steven-"

"That's me!" Steve cried, jumping up from his seat on the floor.

"Carl's having a special day, Kimberly had a special day yesterday, I see my favorite friend Jonathan-"

Johnny gasped and smiled when he heard his name. She didn't say Johnny, but Jonathan was as close as they were going to get.

"I see Diana and Sarah and Michael and Keith-"

"THATS ME THATS ME THATS ME!!!!!" Two-Bit screeched, jumping up and down.

"And last but certainly not least, I see Claire, George, Susie, and Dallas."

"YES!" Dally cheered, raising his fist in the air, but hit it on a lamp. "OW!"

"I hope everyone had a happy day! See you tomorrow on Romper Room!" The hostess concluded the show as the credits rolled.

Ponyboy whimpered and started cry. Romper Room never said his or Soda's names because of how unique they were. He ran to Darrel Sr., his father, who was paying bills in the kitchen. In the living room, Steve scoffed. "He's such a baby..." He muttered quietly so Soda and Darry couldn't hear him.

"Daddy!!! Daddy!!!" Pony cried, hugging his dad's leg. Darrel Sr. picked his youngest son up and cradled him. "What's wrong Little Colt?" He asked, stroking Ponyboy's auburn hair. "Was your name not said on Romper Room again?"

The four year old wiped his tears and nodded. "They didn't say S-Soda's name either..." He whimpered. Darrel Sr. frowned, knowing that his two younger sons' names would never be said on television like the others.

"I'm sorry Pones..." Darrel Sr. said, rubbing Pony's back. "But I think I did hear her say your middle name, Michael." Pony nodded but frowned. "It's not the same Daddy..." He said glumly, walking back to the living room.

Darrel Sr. sighed, wishing he could do something to make Sodapop and Ponyboy happy. Then he got a brilliant idea and hurried into his office.

Back in the living room, everyone was comforting Ponyboy. "It's okay Pony..." Soda said, rubbing Pony's back. "They didn't say my name either. Not even my middle name..." Pony nodded. "They never say our names Soda..." He whimpered, hugging his brother tight.

--

A few weeks later, the whole gang was watching another episode of Romper Room. When the episode ended, everyone gathered around to hear the names. The hostess proceeded to name a bunch of names, including some of the gang. But at the end, she said something unexpected.

"And last but certainly not least, two young boys named Sodapop and Ponyboy are having a VERY special day today." She announced with a big grin on her face. "See you tomorrow on Romper Room!"

The whole gang gasped turned to Pony and Soda. Pony smiled big and hugged Soda tight.

"SHE SAID OUR NAMES! SHE SAID OUR NAMES!" Ponyboy and Sodapop cheered, hugging each other so tight.

Darrel Sr. watched from the hallway, smiling at his work. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the letter he received from the TV company, saying that the letter he had written to them warmed their hearts. The best news? The hostess Romper Room would now say Sodapop and Ponyboy's names during the end of the episodes every now and then.

~ TJ