Headcanon (30)

A/N: I guess you could call this a headcanon. It's basically a step-by-step guide on how Sodapop deals with Ponyboy's nightmares.

Step 1: It all starts with Soda somehow being awoken by Ponyboy. Whether it's him waking to Pony's crying or whimpering in his sleep, or Ponyboy shaking his older brother awake, Soda's always quick to respond. If Sodapop wakes up to Ponyboy crying or whimpering in his sleep, he'll spend the next few minutes trying to pull him out of whatever nightmare he's enduring.

Step 2: Once Ponyboy is awake, he'll be crying and whimpering for Soda. Right now, Sodapop's job is to hold his little brother and tell him over and over that everything's alright and that he's safe.

Step 3: After Ponyboy calms down a little, Soda will ask him if he wants to talk about his dream. Ponyboy usually wants to, but sadly this just makes the situation worse. After Ponyboy goes into detail about what scared him so bad, he'll end up crying all over again.

Step 4: Sodapop repeats Step 2. He, once again, comforts Ponyboy more and keeps telling him that's he's okay, and that he's protected in Soda's arms. When Ponyboy wakes up from bad dreams, he's very affectionate, so Sodapop is constantly hugging Pony and kissing his forehead; Ponyboy doing the same.

Step 5: After Ponyboy has completely relaxed, Sodapop asks him if he wants to get a glass of warm milk. Before their parents died, Mrs. Curtis would always give her boys warm milk if they had a nightmare or couldn't fall asleep. To this day, Sodapop, Ponyboy and even Darry all drink warm milk if they have trouble sleeping. When Pony agrees, Soda carries him to the kitchen and gives him his warm milk. This helps soothe Ponyboy more.

Step 6: After Ponyboy finishes his milk, Sodapop will give Pony his sleeping pills. Due to the fact that Ponyboy has horrific nightmares often, his doctor prescribed special medicine to help Ponyboy sleep. Ponyboy takes one tablet after he wakes up from his nightmare. The best part about the sleeping pills was that not only do they help Ponyboy sleep through the rest of the night, but they also make him drowsy, helping him get to sleep faster.

Step 7: Sodapop takes Ponyboy back to their room. Sometimes, Ponyboy will end up getting upset over his nightmare again, so Soda will need to comfort him more.

Step 8: After a lot more comforting from Sodapop, the medicine and milk eventually kick in and Ponyboy starts getting tired again. It usually takes awhile to get Ponyboy to lay back down because he's still scared, but once he finally does, Ponyboy becomes exhausted.

Step 9: The middle Curtis tucks himself and his younger brother into bed. He rubs circles into Ponyboy's stomach and watches him until Pony finally falls asleep. Sodapop makes sure that Ponyboy is completely asleep before he falls asleep himself. The whole thing repeats the next night.

Hope you guys enjoyed! Stay gold!

~ TJ