Chapter 002

'Two scoops of strawberry with the chocolate chips, and another with vanilla and pistachio, please.' Asked the unknown lady politely, pressing a finger to the glass to point to what she wanted as if to help Francesca find the flavours faster.

'Right away.' Murmured Francesca as she got the ice cream cones and scooped what was asked for in ridiculous timing. She handed the ice creams to the woman and told her the total she had to pay. The kind lady scrambled in her purse to find exact change so Francesca wouldn't have to worry. They thanked each other and then Francesca had some time to spend on her 15 minutes break.

She collapsed in her chair that stood opposite Anna, nose buried in a magazine she was destined to read every word from. At first, Francesca stared at Anna silently, trying to stop her fast breathing from the extremely hot weather.

'Staring isn't nice.' Remarked Anna, not tearing her eyes away from the article about another celebrity getting pregnant.

'I wasn't staring, I was observing.' Defended Francesca, almost bluntly with playful bitterness.

'Fran, that's the same thing.' Said Anna, finally looking up from the magazine for a few seconds before dipping back down.

'Whatever.' Scoffed Francesca and looked towards the burning sun up in the sky. 'You should be helping me, you know? This is what you came here for.'

'Actually, Patricia said I could just watch for starters.' Said Anna, referring to her Job Centre instructor, Patricia.

Patricia was a kind person, but had a very short temper and got annoyed easily, although you couldn't tell unless you knew her a little better. Right now, being 21, Anna has been recently kicked from her job due to the place closing down and was left unemployed. She wasn't prepared for anything of this similarity as Anna has worked there for nearly two years and grew used to it.

She'd never guess that the place would suddenly shut down, shutting off Anna completely, handing her the money she earned that month and rushing her out the door as soon as possible. They didn't even apologise.

They were a little rude to Anna and teased her most the time, but she grown to it and was fine with it, maybe even liked it a little. But what did it matter now?

'Does Patricia know you will never actually want to work in an ice-cream shop?' Asked Francesca, putting her hand in the curve of her hourglass body, raising her eyebrow slightly.

'Look, there's literally nothing on offer that I'd like; everything's taken.' Argued Anna, finally closing and putting away the magazine she really wasn't interested in anymore. 'It's not easy to find a job when everything good is taken.'

'No, Anna. "Everything good" to you is the three jobs you've ever had because you're scared of trying new things.' Francesca started again, getting a little annoyed at Anna's plain ignorance. 'You just have to risk it.'

'Oh, screw off, Fran. You know perfectly well that doing new things is the hardest for me. And saying "Just risk it" isn't going to suddenly make me less scared about trying new things.'

Francesca stood there, not unable to speak, but just shaking her head at Anna's light problems. She was always annoyed that Anna hasn't really lived. She hasn't been out, she hasn't admired the really admirable things, she hasn't tried different cocktails, she hasn't tried different fruits and foods, or been to places other than the sea that she lived near to.

Anna admired the smallest of things and that, for some odd reason, made Francesca either envious or annoyed because she wanted the best for Anna, but she also wanted to be a little lighter herself and wanted to be happier from smaller things too. Francesca mostly gets her ways.

And she did get her way that time too because she finally managed to get Anna to apply for a new job neither of them have ever had. The job was a library technician and the description that Patricia gave was, "Technicians assist librarians in organizing materials, ordering new titles, shelving books, and assisting patrons in researching the catalogue. Computer skills are vital to this job, but no previous experience is necessarily expected."

Anna took the job, although she has previously said, 'Fran, I can't do this. This job is stupid, pointless. And it serves no good. No one even reads anymore. I can't, I won't,' but after three days of "thinking", she did. She took it and for the first time in her life, something was slightly less simple.

-
The next chapter will be written in Anna's point of view... 

Hey guys,I'm really sorry this is short and a little boring but it's still the beginning and that's what beginnings usually are. Also I'm still introducing and developing characters while the story line is just about starting. Please be patient and don't quit on me yet. Please like, comment and share if you can.

Any suggestions to this piece of writing will be considered and I take requests for personal stories if anyway wants me to write them anything.

Thanks for reading.