Chapter 015:

Main Songs – Treat you better (Ashworth remix) – Shawn Mendes

I'm not going to say he meant it, because he was joking and it was plainly obvious with the way he was chuckling, and the way he was shaking his head at my silliness. It was a friendly phrase, one that I say to Fran after I jokingly insult her and she pretends to be offended; an ordinary phrase. A phrase that is not to be taken literally. One that is supposed to be taken lightly, and as a joke. I'm not going to say he meant it, because he didn't.

However, I cannot say that it didn't make my stomach flutter, because it most definitely did.

I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that we're soulmates, because I am not that type of person. Two weeks, I've known him two weeks, barely enough to even remember his parents' names and details like that. Don't put me like that, no, I have huge problems with falling in love with strangers. I won't judge you if that's your choice, but for me, I cannot go with it. I cannot love a stranger.

And yet.

Once I calmed down I thought the best thing to do to stop being cold is to emerge the majority of my body in water, I swam over to where Fran was tugging Dylan's arm to get in with her, her success with the water soaking up to his knees already, and got his other arm, until we pulled and pulled, laughing, and he fell in the water with us. We then all swam and jokes with each other.

Once that was finished, we helped each other with towels, covering ourselves in them. Liam, being the university genius of the group, told us stories of what it was like in uni, the expectation of partying and girls while in fact it was more of a, 'Did you steal my socks or did The Sock Goblin take them?' sort of life.

We kept smiling and laughing at the stupidest things, as if we've known each other for years and were recalling memories and telling untold stories. Fran mentioned the, 'Maybe Smell and Buy will be our always?' situation and we've laughed at it more than before, remembering the stupidity of the story.

Cora mentioned the coldness after a while, and even though accompanied with warm cups of tea and coffee, we agreed. Liam and Dylan went out for a hunt of big rocks and sticks from the nearby busy forest that's been known for having many old, broken down trees, while Cole took the challenge to try and light the fire without a lighter. Fran, Cora and I packed up what we didn't need anymore and loaded it into the car to save time for later. I complained about my wet hair, as I'd been the only one to be dropped In the water, so Fran and Cora went to hunt for a lighter in the 24h shops.

Cole and I sat on the blanket, me trying to dry my hair with my wet towel and him placing the stick to form somewhat of a circle to put limitation on the bonfire. A quiet, distant silence followed by, the stars starting to show more vibrantly now that the sun begun to sink into the horizon waters. The street lights turned on, but they were very far away from where we were sat on the beach, so it was mostly dark where we were.

I was surprised Cole could even see his fingers, making some type of wire that would circle the outside of the fire and create boundaries. His mind working so fast, his eyes drifting from the sea, to what he was doing, to the streets, to where Liam and Dylan were wandering and to me, to which I always drifted my eyes away from him. I wasn't embarrassed; we were friends.

The silence continued.

'Sorry about earlier. About the dropping you into the water thing.' He mumbled, continuing with what he was doing. I shook my head.

'Don't worry.'

'But you were screaming, like, really loud' he chuckled, quickly shooting me a look and then going back.

'I haven't been in the sea in a while, nothing major.' I shrugged.

'Sorry.'

'It's fine! Don't worry.' I laughed; he was kind of cute when he was like this.

He turned, looked at me for a while and bit his lip a little, mumbling a, 'I just feel awful cause I – shit.' He paused, turning his whole body towards me, and let out a long, heavy sigh. 'I just... I like you. And you're different, as cliché as that sounds. Cause most girls, they have this kind of, 'Money, sex and competition vibe against everyone – and so do guys, don't get me wrong – but you're just... kind and smart in a way. You think about stuff and I think that's really rare nowadays. Now, people don't think, they just do and hope but... you don't. And I like that about you.'

He swallowed a lump in his throat and stared at the ground for a while, but I was beaming. Oops, butterflies swarmed over me. But, in the end, all I muttered out was a small, quiet, 'I like you too.'

And then Liam and Dylan came back.

-

I realised I'm being extremely boring, HOWEVER!!!! stay tuned to the next part, because it's going to be BIG! I promise it'll be different.

huge thanks for 900 reads, i cannot believe we're so close to 1k alreayd, im so thankful.

Vote/comment/share/follow me

If you have any comments, questions or genuine suggestions feel free to comment them down below or message me privately.

Thanks for reading!