Chater 020:

The place I lived wasn't either a city nor a town; it was both at the same time. And so the high and towering buildings were level or higher than us, their lights beaming their shine, while the little neighbourhoods and houses dimmed their bedroom windows. In the far distance, you could observe the moonlight hitting the waves as they rolled on the shore and rolled back again.

'That's why I love the sea.' He stated after he saw me staring, the plate of pasta finished before me, only little bits left. I quirked my head to the side and licked off the remaining of my strawberry lipstick.

'It leaves,' he continued, 'but with the certainty that it will always come back.'

My heart fluttered. I let my head drop downward as I let out an effortless laugh. 'That sounds like something you could get tattooed.' I smiled softly.

He nodded and looked to the left, a sign he was thinking, before his gaze met me again.

'Remind me, your favourite music album?' he asked, his arms hugging his elbows as he leaned his body forward, mimicking mine exactly. I tapped my chin humorously and hummed a continuous, "mmm," sound before answering.

'It's a tricky question.' I admitted. 'But I do like gentle things. Taylor Swift maybe, Daughter is also a good band. Hmm. I don't know. Something gentle? God that sounds so weak.' I laid back in my chair and laughed before wincing from the pain of a full stomach.

'That's not weak.' He argued to make me feel better. 'Just means you're loser.' We both could have burst out laughing but it was late and we were full, so we gently laughed along.

'No, I'm kidding, it doesn't.' he stood up from his chair and before he could speak I cut him off.

'Is this the part of the night where you decide you don't like me anymore and you excuse yourself to the toilet but you actually leave me?' we both laughed out loud before he handed me his phone to show me he's going to be back.

A few minutes passed and I still sat alone, although I was still comforted by his presence that was no longer there. Cole left this feeling everywhere he went, is how I'd describe it best. He gave this feeling of cosiness and comfort and he gave so much of it that it lingered on even when he left. Cole was a warming presence that I enjoyed being around a lot, but it was down to what I was able to admit to myself.

Then the awkward silence of the restaurant vanished as the sound of a familiar song came on. One I heard Cole play on his car radio, one I asked the title of but forgot completely. What was the name?

Either way, Cole emerged soon, two glasses of pink champagne situated in both his palms. He handed me one and after I took a sip he got his free hand to grab my mine and used it to pull me up.

He took a rather gulp of his champagne before putting it down and wrapping one of his hands around my waist. The older couples stood up before us and gathered in a general group in the middle of a small dancefloor. They swayed from side to side, head on shoulders, hand in hand, eyes closed and breathing gently. Old couples were extremely uplifting to watch.

The younger couples, our age and a little above, joined shortly after. I gulped down the rest of my champagne, hoping to relax a little along with the slight hint of alcohol. He took my hand and started to lead me closer into the group. Everyone had someone, nearly everyone was dancing, all problems dissolving in the air. Cliché, I thought, everything about this was cliché, but I secretly loved it.

I began to sing along to the song quietly, trying to recall the title just as Cole joined in with me. Ed Sheeran. That's all I could remember so far. We kept dancing, although it was truly horrific. Turns out, neither of us can dance and so we ended up tripping and slipping and stepping on our own feet until our stomach hurt from laughter.

His hands still held me secure and his head rested at the side of mine, buried in my hair. His scent was so close then, the freshness of it, I felt like brushing my hands throw his hair. And so I did and then let it rest there, fingers hidden between his slight curls. We stilled chuckled after every mistake, the voice of Ed Sheeran echoing through the hall as everyone kept silent.

'This is stupid.' I said, laughing at I tripped for the 50th time.

'You want to go?' he asked, smiling softly and eying the outside. I began to say that I love it here and that I could stay but he cut me off and admitted he didn't want to be there anymore. I nodded.

We grabbed our things along with extra champagne that we weren't supposed to take and nearly tripped down the stairs and spilt it everywhere. Running, we left the building, a noise of giggles following us.

The streets welcomed us, a scent of freshly cut grass and gas from the cars. A weird combination, but I grew up in it, I should be used to it. Yet this night was different. This night was better than any I ever spent in this damned place.

'The night isn't over, madam,' he announced, using his sarcastic posh English voice. I laughed, like I did at most things by this point. He tugged at my coat and then took my hand into his, and with the click of my heels and the deep bass of his steps, we began walking in the chilled hours of the night.

'I have one more place to take you,' he whispered softly.

And I was suddenly able to compare him to the waves. He left, but with the certainty of coming back.

-

ARGH 1.7k its going up so fast thank you so much!

Vote/comment/share/follow me

If you have any comments, questions or genuine suggestions feel free to comment them down below or message me privately.

Thanks for reading!