Chapter 029

The most suffocating anxiety got into my head, shut off my lungs and made me shake. I was sure I was going to die, like Cole said, splattering onto the floor, guts spilling as gasps and cries overtook the scene.

But, none of that happened. My partner was simply a bit late in pulling the parachute, which worked just fine. My heart started beating again. He asked me if I were okay. I was too frozen to respond. I wonder if he felt my heart dying against his chest.

I nodded, simply. Looked up to all my friends, still smiling and reaching their hands. I saw Cora and Fran nearly hold hands as their silk parachutes glided through the air towards each other. Cole asked his partner to spin in continuous circles, which we did, erupting Cole in laughter and screams as his sheet drifted between the winds.

I laughed, we all did, at the same time. I felt this warm feeling in my chest, I dare say it felt like... I was falling in love. Or, rather, I had realised that I was already in love.

And that, for some reason, changed everything. I could admit it.

As my feet softly landed on the ground, my partner and I unbuckled ourselves from each other. I fell to my knees in a comedic manner, arms waving towards the sky as if thanking for not killing me. As Cole landed I saw him do the exact same thing, except he crossed the line and kissed the ground.

'Some cow probably shit right in that spot, I bet you.'

'Hey,' spoke my partner. 'That's rude. I ain't no cow.'

We laughed like it would be our last piece of joy. Fran and I ran to each other, pretending to be in distress and then ordered Cora to join us. We all faked crying and then hugged together, gradually feeling the rest of the group join us, including our flying instructors and partners.

-

We all dressed back into our normal clothes, with our swimsuits underneath. Collectively, we received our certificates and rewards for flying, little fake medals and chocolate coins. Posing for the photos, we did the most annoying and hilarious faces I could ever imagine. We looked like a bunch of idiots, a bunch of idiots who were having the time of their lives. As it should be.

We thanked everyone there, excited and relieved, soon climbing into our car. I was rushed to the back this time, since they reported It unfair that I got to sit in front whilst they were uncomfortably squished in the back. So I sat next to Cole on the left-hand side, draping one of my legs over his thigh. ;)

I hadn't realised how tired I was until my head was dropping. Everyone else was quiet too, nearly asleep. Cole was looking beyond me, onto the side of the road. He neared his head towards the side of mine just like he did before the skydiving.

'Just lean on me already, you look awful.' He whispered so no one else would hear.

I smiled, 'are you saying I look good every other time?'

'No, I'm saying you look awful at present time. You look acceptable any other time.' He shifted, and then I slapped his chest lightly. 'Ouch.' He whispered, adding a laugh.

'Boo, you whore.' I said as I closed my eyes. I breathed in his smell, and grasped onto the side of his denim jacket. It took me to earlier today, imagining my perfect scenarios, and then the struck realisation I had today.

I hadn't looked at a single sunrise since I met him.