Chapter 008:

I wasn't sure how we got there, but we made it in time to see the sky change colours. From the grey and dark blue that it had, it sunk into a deep purple that spread until it became lighter and let a pink emerge from it. To our surprise, the pink and purple lasted much longer than normally, and the dark and light blue blended into them at the other end of the sky. The stars started popping up eventually, put it took too long and our necks would hurt if we stared any longer.

His car was pretty spacious, matte black and quite classy if you asked me. It was kept in incredibly good condition, smelt of fresh cut grass and pine trees which somehow made me feel like home and brought butterflies to my stomach, something I could potentially describe as the taste of venturing out and exploring.

He drove quietly, no cigarette between his lips or fingers this time, his eyes set on the road as some music played on a CD he explained he made himself for longer road trips that made him feel a little more calm, including what maybe might have been my favourite, called "falling" by Subtract. I hadn't heard of the band and when I asked he admitted he hadn't either, he just liked the song and put it on there.

He found a spot to park his car and quietly led me to a special spot by the Brighton beach where I assumed he had visited plenty of times before, his coat hung loosely on his broad shoulders and his hands already found their way into his pockets.

The sea settled quietly, the waves were quite small and the ocean overall calm, letting the small amount of shells and rocks travel within its grasp every time the wave lunged itself at the rocky beach.

'Pretty, isn't it?' he asked, sitting down on a spot before letting his hands rest on his knees as his eyes wandered the steady seas.

I nodded at first and then realised he couldn't see me so I mumbled a, 'Mhm.' Before joining to sit down beside him.

We were quiet for a long moment, searched the horizon as the pinks and purples of the setting sun finally touched the waters, and sank deep beneath the surface. We just looked at it all, breathed the fresh air that the sea brought with it.

'Better than sitting in a café, right?' he looked over at me slightly and as I kept watching the clouds mix within the air above us, he nudged me a little, making me smile I didn't wish to show.

'Yeah, it's better.' I admitted and looked down at my hands as they hugged my knees to my chest, played with the little white ring I had. 'It feels a lot more fresh outside.'

Silence over took again and normally I would find it quite uncomfortable but right now, it was the most peaceful thing in the world. And then he broke the silence.

'Take off your shoes.' He said once and stood up, shaking the small rocks from his jeans.

'What?' I asked find of puzzled, not really knowing what suddenly was going on. Yet I still did it, I still took of my Vans and my short socks with them too, felt the cold pebbles beneath my feet. I squealed lightly at how cold the stones actually were.

'Go into the sea.' He nudged his head towards the waves' direction, a cigarette magically in between his teeth already, eyes flashing that glare with his head turned slightly to one side, watching the show before him.

'What? That's crazy. It's so cold!' I tried to argue my way out of it. I had no idea what he was trying to do, taking me to a beach I barely knew even though observed often and making me walking into the sea.

'Just do it. Fuck it.' He said and something about the way he blew out the smoke and the way he smirked after he said it, made me actually not care about anything for a few minutes. So I turned to the waters, and walked slowly.

I waited for the next wave to come and when it did, it soaked up my feet up to my ankles in the coldest water I've ever felt. But even though it was astonishingly freezing, I walked further, let the water cover up more and more of my skin. I don't know why and I don't know how I didn't care about it, but I was left with water just beneath my knees and somehow, that made me laugh.

'You're nuts for making me do this.' I murmured out as I was laughing to myself, his laugh shortly joining as he approached, his jeans rolled up and his feet bare, walking into the water himself.

'It is pretty fun though, isn't it?' he asked, the cigarette burying itself between the pebbles where he threw it, quitting on its flaming and leaving a small smoke trail emerging from it. I stared at it, and then turned my eyes towards him again, the wind flowing through my hair before I gently nodded.

'You're missing out on so much, Anna Murphy.' He said, staring back at me, the laughter gone but replaced with something a little bit better.

'I know.' I lowered my eyes towards the water that splashed against me still, and realised I've gotten used to the cold and really didn't mind it now, I realised that I was happy about it and I realised that I was really glad he took me here.

'I want to show you what you're missing, Anna. You're still young, still have the potential to be a little reckless.'

There was a silence between us, but it was blocked out by the crashing waves and surrounding people, until I had courage to break the quiet.

'Then teach me how to be a little reckless.'

-

If you have any comments, questions or concerns either comment them down or message me privately. Thank you so much for reading.

Like/Comment/Share/Follow me

Songs used whilst writing -

Falling - Subtract   AND   Measures - Windmills