Chapter 016:

They both had a ton of sticks under their arms; small, big, short, long, old, fairly new but good enough to light them. They came back chuckling, almost laughing at their whispers, while they nudged each other and laughed at the other ones' comments. We stopped and watched them walk toward us.

Cora and Fran appeared soon enough, with two lighters and drinks that weren't going to be drunken because they were too cold. The sticks were placed in Cole's circle, and Cole's failed attempt at lighting them without a lighter lead him to use one with a defeated expression on his face. We hurdled up next to each other, for warmth, and got the two blankets from earlier and wrapped us in a big human burrito. Cora, Fran, Me, Cole, Liam and Dylan sat in that exact order, making a horseshoe around the fire as it was starting to grow.

The one thing about bonfires that bugged me, was that it made my eyes water, and that made everyone start asking if I was okay. I was much better than okay because of this perfect kind of day I have lived through still wasn't over, but already was so long I felt immediately satisfied, and this bonfire just kept making it better and better.

Over the course of this night, we all engaged in jokes, which already seemed special. Inside jokes on the day of their creating. It was usually a phrase, or in one case, a word, which made us crack up laughing with nothing else following it. I presumed most friendship groups had these types of jokes, in which ending up cry-laughing was the usual result.

The sun had disappeared completely, leaving trails of stars behind, pulling the moon by a string to accompany us instead so we don't feel lonely. After a while, we all warmed up, the stupidest people of the group played dares to go swim in the sea. I declined the multiple requests to join, so I sat near the fire and hummed the songs that played through the radio earlier that day.

Cole, although at first laughed and agreed to the dare game, looked over and suddenly changed his mind, his reasoning being that he didn't want me to be lonely, said in a sarcastic tone and a baby-like pronunciation. So he pulled the blanket from me and swiftly joined himself back under it.

We watched the rest drag each other into the freezing waters, the sea swarming over them and sinking them in, until they emerged, all heavy breathing and screaming. I laid my head on Cole's shoulder, as I supposed it would be fine, and also I was getting incredibly tired.

He wrapped his arms round me, as stupid as it was, and we stayed quiet. For most the time. As I was watching our idiotic friends, he was staring upward. I gazed my eyes the same direction and he must have saw me in the corner of his eye, because he started talking.

'What're you thinking of?'

'I was about to ask you the same question.' I breathed in the cold air and the smell of the nearby bonfire.

'But I asked first.' He looked at me for a split second and then back to the sky.

'Today, I'm thinking about today. How good it was.' I shrugged simply. What else could I say? I loved it, adored it, wished it could last longer, praised everyone for making it so special. But I just said it was, "good". Because it was. I needed a simplistic answer.

'You're welcome.' He sang in a snow white voice, although it wasn't quite a match. I rolled my eyes but I was smiling.

'It wasn't just you.'

'Go to hell.' He mumbled quickly and that made me laugh.

'Oh, I've been there. It was quite the lovely experience, thank you.' We both laughed out a little too loud. I tried to recall a quote from my favourite movie but didn't get it quite right (If someone guesses the movie right, you'll get a follow and a shout out cause I'm cool like that) I smiled at the floor, embarrassed.

'I meant what I said earlier. I do like you.' He stumbled upon the silence.

'I know, I like you too.' I chewed on the inside cheek. Should I do it? Should I, really?

I turned my head to him and he was already staring. Go for it, I think.

I lean over, quickly placing my lips against his, very lightly and gently pushing against him. I know it's bad, I know it's been two weeks, but I go for it. A quick peck. I can't help myself. His lips tasted of candy that I guessed he snuck out from my bag, his eyes flutter quickly shut, the way I thought they would. His hand tries to make its way to me, but I pull away; I cannot allow myself more than two seconds.

'Oh, come on!' he throws his hands in the air. I laugh, shake my hair, something I do when I'm nervous, and smile. I cannot allow myself more than two seconds, I repeat in my head.

But I loved it.

-

Vote/comment/share/follow me

If you have any comments, questions or genuine suggestions feel free to comment them down below or message me privately.

Thanks for reading!

Y*/l9