Chapter 017:

On my way to work I picked up some flowers for Mrs. Borrow. Or, in fact, Mrs. Borrow's niece, Poppy, who just announced that she and her husband, Michael, were having a baby. A little baby girl, a name hasn't yet been picked. As I have been brought up to believe pink Is for girls and blue is for boys, I was tempted to buy lots of pink flowers, all different shades yet all having the same innocent tone. But I went with all white roses, leaves sprayed using golden spray and left the stems green. I paid a little extra, but I thought it looked perfect. Besides, I haven't seen Mrs. Borrow so happy about something since... well, never.

So I hopped my way to another store, very crowded but comfortable. Lots and lots of options for pictures, paintings, frames, cushions, toys, lights. It was a light-toned store, so everything looked new and innocent, kind of my intention. I bought a little white wooden frame with black painted over it saying, "Innocence at its finest" which thought I'd pick up just In case. I put it in a black and gold bag and went into work.

Mrs. Borrow couldn't stop smiling and thanking me, wearing a huge grin most of the day. I guess being a sister of an upcoming grandparent was really all she needed to start crying of happiness. I can't even imagine what she'd do if it was her child that was pregnant. I desired to reach that feeling one day.

Mrs. Borrow grew fond of me, working now just 6 weeks for her made her like me even more from Mondays to Fridays that contained of friendly chats and innocent jokes from little mistakes I've made. I liked her now. She was a good person. No, she was a great person. She was so kind and sweet.

'Anna, honey, if you could sort out of books from the trolley and then order the newest ones from the computer. I think I've made a list of the main ones and then you can pick 5 of your own.' She mentioned her hand to grab the list she made and tapped in to my trolley so I don't forget.

'Will do. What genres for this month?" I asked

"Self-developing books. I realised I don't have any books on how to build one's person. I think people could use some help with being satisfied with themselves." She shrugged. I thought how good of an idea that was.

'Good thinking. I'll get going."

"oh, Anna! Your friend, Francesca, is waiting in the garden. You could visit her on your break." I nodded and smiled and got to work.

When I finished my hour and a half of book-sorting, my break was coming up. I opened the great doors to the garden and once again felt like a princess hopping down the great stone stairs, spotting Francesca sitting on the white bench that Cole once picked, next to the purple Lantanas and the purple hyacinths. Few of my favourites.

'Hey, loser." I said as I sat next to her. She had picked up a book titled, "In a dark, dark wood." By an author I knew as Ruth Ware. I read the book. It was amazing, lots of twists and turns, its one that makes you think. It's what got me into mystery and thriller books.

'Hey, weirdo." She threw back, not tearing her eyes from the pages. I looked around us, the flowers at their finest bloom. The purple and white Crocus flowers, the purple and blue Dahlias, the field of Bluebells that surrounded the pond and the Lilac flowers that spread around us. This was my favourite part of the garden, simply because my favourite colour surrounded me.

'What're you thinking about?" she broke the silence, her eyes still scanning the ink.

'The Purple and Lilac Heaven that surrounding us." I motioned towards the little name plate that Mrs. Borrow placed everywhere, making me name nearly every section of the garden. She put the book down and looked at me.

'Purple would suit you.'

'I don't wear purple clothes though.'

'Who said I was talking about clothes?' she rolled her eyes and I furrowed my eyebrows. 'I meant your hair!' she expressed. I felt my face go pale.

'Fran, no.'

'Fran, yes.' She smirked. I shook my head. 'Oh, come on! Cole gets to take you out and make you try new things and you've known him five weeks and you won't let me try temporary dye on you? Me? A best friend of six years?'

I knew she wouldn't give this up. And she was making a fair point. But It didn't change the fact that I was terrified.

I blew out a long breath and closed my eyes for a second.

'But it must be temporary dye.'

-

Vote/comment/share/follow me

If you have any comments, questions or genuine suggestions feel free to comment them down below or message me privately.

Thanks for reading!