Chapter 028

Fran began immediately screaming, I wasn't sure whether from excitement or fear, but most likely a mixture of both. I covered my ears to devour the high-pitched squeal until it passed. And then she started screaming again.

When the psychopath stopped with her noise, we climbed out the car and stretched our legs. After a long journey in a car with no stops, we were aching all over, so we refreshed what we could.

'Ah! Perfect, dearies.' Greeted us a man with welcoming arms, outstretched them so much I thought he really wanted a hug, but instead he clapped his hands together once. 'Good enough you're stretching, that might be helpful during flight! He beamed at us excitedly.

Cole looked at me with a look that expressed, 'Really, bitch?' but it changed when he grew a smile. He came over to hug me, placing his nose to the side of my head and whispering, 'Play Harry Styles at my funeral after I fall and splatter to my death.'

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, with a hidden smile on my lips. 'Stop it, dramatic boy. You're not going to die.'

Liam came over, bossy and excited. Probably a little nervous, but I could imagine we all were. We high-fived and acted like stuck-up idiots, laughing and joking,' we got 'em good, bro!'

'We the best, fam!' I exclaimed, throwing awkward accents with my hands, resulting in both me and Liam erupting in laughter, Cora latching on. Fran was still in hysterics.

She ran over to me, jumped on my back and forced me to give her a piggy-back ride. She slapped my butt and mimicked throwing a lasso like the real cowgirl she was, singing, 'Baby, you know me so well!'

Turns out, she was more excited than scared. I secretly planned this for her ever since we were 15, and she mentioned skydiving was on her damned bucket list.

-

We were instructed to climb into proper outfits suitable for the dive, accompanied by the safety gear. We were sat in a room where the rules were explained to us, the dangers of not following them, and the formula to enjoy ourselves best. It was a lot more light-hearted than I suspected.

Guiding us into the port, and climbing into the plane, our guide explained to us that if we wanted to bail we could at any time, except of course whilst we were already out of the plane. He cracked jokes smoothly, which helped calm our group down. But there still remained a heavy atmosphere.

We were flying our way to the top and began getting strapped to our partners, God help us if we were left to do it ourselves. Before our main guide even had a chance to ask whether anyone volunteered to go first, Fran frantically exclaimed, 'ME!' followed by the quick rise of her hand. I asked to be second, and then Cole, Cora and Liam set their places.

The doors of the plane opened and a whiff of an overpowering, hot atmosphere overtook us. The cold wind paired with it. I felt as if I was entering the hurricane my stomach warned me about earlier. I watched Fran leap, and as instructed by my experienced partner, I did too.

I couldn't believe my own heart-rate, it felt like I had left it on the plane. I heard Cole and Liam scream as they jumped and, to relieve my own nerves, I did too. And then, everyone was screaming.

We were so very high up. I couldn't spot a dinosaur if there was one underneath me. The air stretched my skin as it plumaged at it, creating those funny-looking wrinkles. I opened my mouth and felt like a dog hanging its head out the window. Of a train. Falling from the sky at full speed.

There wasn't a scent to it, only a feeling of a near-death experience. The skin felt funny as the wind tried to tear It apart, the world so far away from me. I felt like an astronaut, coming back home in a rush, and flying like a bird when finally being locked into gravity.

We passed the clouds, got a taste of their fluffy heaven. And we leaped forward.

Our group balanced out, and we waved at each other, I noticed everyone smiling, including me. I suppose we felt free. For as long as the world was against us, the wind tried to fight us and the gravity trying to destroy us, we were all smiling. Somehow, someway.

And then, we were nearing the ground. I could see the fields, the lakes and the forests all around the area. Everyone pulled up in their parachutes, safely floating under the clouds once again.

Everyone except me.
-
Sorry for the long pause, I guess I can only excuse it on writers block. But I'm back, and determined. 24.7k and going strong baby, I love you all.