30

Alli
They had tied our hands and forced us each onto the back of a motorcycle, we'd been driving for a few hours, at least it felt like that. I felt so empty knowing that Sarah was gone for good, I knew there was no chance of seeing her again. I just sat there, staring down at the motorcycle seat, not knowing what to do. I glanced up at Carl and he was motioning his head to something in front of us, so I followed his glance. I saw a group of people at a gas station, hopefully they'd stop here, at least to raid them.

The lead man put his hand up, motioning for everyone to stop, I zoned out again as he gave orders until he got to Carl and I "and you two, don't you dare try something" he said and I nodded as they all got off their bikes and headed towards the station. Carl waited until they were out of hearing distance to talk to me. "Listen to me very closely" he said quietly in case they could still hear "I got my ropes undone a while back, I'm gonna switch onto your bike and ride us out of here" he told me and I glanced at the people who were now going into the station "do you know how to drive it?" I ask and he shakes his head "no, but-" "untie me, I can do it".

He looked at them then ran over to me, untying my hands quickly. "Just hold on to me" I ordered as I scooted up in the seat and started setting up the bike "okay". I waited until he latched his hands around my torso, then turned to make sure they were still out of sight "I hope this works" I said under my breath then twisted the handle, making us take off into the field next to the road.

I quickly turned around and went in the direction we came from, going almost as fast as I could. "We didn't take that many turns!" He shouted over the noise "I know the way back!". "Tell me when to turn, okay?!" I yelled back "okay!". I sped down the road, speeding up as we got further, hopefully if they heard us take off, it at least took them a bit to all get back back to the bikes and head back out.

"We need to throw them off! They probably remember the route!" I spoke loudly "yeah, you're probably right! We can find another way home!" He responded and I nodded "check behind us!" I ordered him "all clear!". "Hold on tight, I'm making a turn!" I warned then felt his grip tighten around my torso as I made a sharp left, it's gonna take a long time to get home if we're purposely making wrong turns, I just hope we get close enough before we run out of gas.

The sun was going down now so we've been traveling all afternoon "they're gonna wonder where we are, the note said we'd be at the lake" I wasn't shouting anymore, he could hear me at this point. "I know, but we were only outside of the tombs for a few minutes when..." he trailed off so he wouldn't bring up Sarah, I knew he didn't want me to think about it anymore, but it's one of the things that just doesn't leave your mind, even when we were trying to get away the image of her lifeless body just laying on the ground had never left my mind.

"Anyway, they should be able to track where we went" he said and my eyes widened "wait, but they'll be lead to those people and they'll..." I stopped "which direction is the prison in?" I ask him urgently, he'd been keeping track "take the next right turn then just go through the woods from there" he directed and I nod, speeding up again as we went down the road. I followed his directions until I saw the sign "hitchhikers may be escaping inmates" it was near the gates.

15 or so walkers were crowded in the spikes "we don't have our weapons so we have to be careful" he reminded me and I nod as we both got off to climb the gates "oh wait" I say and turn back to the bike, grabbing the bag that hung around the handles, it belonged to one of the men. I went through it and pulled out a hunting knife, it was the only weapon in there. "Here" I gave it to Carl then pulled the motorcycle into the woods, covering it with leaves and branches in case the men came back here, then they wouldn't see it.

We walked slowly through the path of walkers, making sure none of them were able to reach us. We got to the fence and I glanced up "You go first, I'll watch the walkers" I say and he nods, handing me the knife as he starting climbing "careful of the barbed wire" I warned him as he got closer to the top "thanks" he grunts, avoiding it as he made his way to the other side and climbed down. I handed him the knife through the fence then curled my fingers around the metal links of the fences.

I started to climb and Carl's eyes went wide "Alli climb faster" he said urgently and I gave him an odd look, but obeyed. I couldn't climb that fast, I don't have that much upper body strength and the links were hard to fit my feet into. I was scared to look behind me. He started to climb frantically up the opposite side until he got to the barbed wire, where I still wasn't "Alli come on!" He said, reaching his hand down to me and I grabbed it and pulled myself to the top and held onto the metal beam instead then looked down.

The group of men were there, the one who had killed Sarah was right below me "funny, you thought you could get away" he smirked and I started to put my leg over the barbed wire, but he just laughed. "guess you guys won't be seeing each other for a while" he said and I felt my stomach tighten in fear as I focused on getting over the barbed wire, wondering what he meant "you should probably say goodbye" he continues and Carl grabbed me, starting to pull me over when the shot rang out and I felt my arms and legs go limp. I saw Carl trying to pull me up then everything went black.