Chapter 15; Freedom is great+ more bananas

Mackenzies POV
Friday, a week left

As I was nearly finished getting ready for school, the home phone rang. Which is rare so it's usually telemarketers, or my grandparents.

I answer, "hello?"

"Hey kenzie it's Josh are you ready im about to leave" Josh asks.

"Um how did you get my home phone number" I ask

"First I tried your cell and it went to voicemail so I remembered Paige has your home phone number so I tried and you answered end of story"

"Josh for one you have my cell phone, for two you've never called before"

"Whatever mackenzie are you ready" he asks

"Yes I'm ready" I reply

"Good because I'm just down the road"

I roll my eyes and grab a water out of the fridge before rushing outside just as he pulled in.

"Heyo" Josh rolled the window down

"Don't say that again" I reply getting in

"Oh and roll up the window your letting the heat out" I complain, before adding a sarcastic teeth chattering sound

"Drama queen" he rolls up the window.

I roll my eyes and lean back in my seat

"It's almost been a month" I confirm

"Yep" he pops the p.

"I hope you didn't break my phone"

"Well I hit this red button that said self destruct then some smoke came out and it exploded into pieces but I think it's still usable" he jokes.

"So funny I forgot to laugh"

"Hahaha" he sarcasticly laughs

I let out a sigh sliding down in my seat

"Something wrong ziegler" he asks

"Nah I'm good"

Josh begins to whistle along with the music, causing me to stare awkwardly at him.

"What" he asks

"Why are you whistling"

"Because I can"

"Um okay" I proceed to look out the window

"Oh hey I brought you a floorboard banana"

I turn to him

"I'm throwing it out the window"

"It's in your floorboard" I look down and find a banana.

I roll down the window.

"Oh my gosh mackenzie don't waste a good banana"

"Do you want it"

"Yes!"

I toss the banana to Josh and he takes one hand off the steering wheel to catch it, causing him to swerve a little.

"Dummy" I mutter

"Did you just call me a dummy?"

"Yeah so"

"What are you? Five" he asks before laughing at his own joke.

"Maybe I am" I mutter

Josh speeds up as he enters the parking lot, which is the exact opposite of what your suppose to do.

"Josh, you need to get retested for your license of something" I nearly yell

"Calm your cookies ziegler" he replies sliding into a parking spot.

Rolling my eyes I grab my backpack from the floorboard and get out of his car.

I begin to walk into the school

••

I grab my lunch, I use to love lunch because I could hang out with my best friend, brynn. But me and brynn weren't really friends anymore so I now only like lunch for one reason; it meant school was halfway over.

After grabbing my lunch I proceed to join Nia at her table with the rest of the dorks where I had been sitting since I was "evicted" from the popular table. Mind the sarcasm

After sitting down and picking through my food for about 3 minutes I get hit in the arm with a banana. Which I wouldn't say is unusual in Highschool lunch but since it's a banana it reminds me of a certain someone named Josh.

I look in the general direction of where the banana came from and see Josh sitting at his table surrounded by his friends, the loud gross jocks.

He motions for me to come over there and some crazy part of me decides. Sure whatever.

"I'm gonna sit by Josh" I mumble to Nia standing up.

I grab my tray and sit next to Josh who immediately wraps his arm around my shoulder.

"Hey beautiful" he greets

I sit the banana on his tray. And continue to pick at my nasty food.

"Hello is it national ignore Josh day" he asks waving a hand in front of my face

Causing a bunch of his friends to burst out laughing.

"Good one Josh" one of joshs friends say, who I don't care to know the name of.

"Still nothing" another one of joshes friends ask who is sitting on the other side of me.

"I'm just stressed" I reply

Leaning back into joshs arm.

"Yeah school sucks" Josh replies

"So kenzie why don't you like bananas" Josh asks randomly.

"They just gave always grossed me out, plus my moms allergic so I guess it causes me and MADDIE to despise them"

"You despise bananas" he asks confused

I laugh "nah I just don't really like them"

Then we hear the beep that means the ancient intercom is in use, that no one uses.

"Josh Hyland please report to the office" Mr. Andersons voice booms.

Causing of course oohs and aahs from everyone in the lunch room.

Well now it's really awkward.

Josh pats me on the head as he leaves and I begin to pick awkwardly at my food trying to ignore the fact that everyone at the lunch table is staring at me.

But really, what did Josh do?