Chapter 24

Every since he could remember, Niall knew he was different from the other little boys. He didn’t cringe away from cooties, or try to get attention from the other little girls by playing pranks on them. He didn’t play with the other kids; he sat far away in a corner, and watched them play. He wanted to know why he was different, and instead of playing he tried to figure out why.

As he grew up, and got older, he didn’t stare at girls like the rest of the boys did. Sure he thought they were pretty, but he didn’t feel an attraction there. He still couldn’t figure out why he was this way. He noticed his attention more on the boys and that is when he figured out he liked guys, and not girls. He remembers crying for a week straight, thinking he was sick because he was different. It wasn’t until he told Alfie, his first and only friend, that he was gay. Alfie had told him that it was perfectly okay, and it was normal. That’s when he told his mum, and then he didn’t care who knew because his mum accepted him.

That’s all he cared about, the approval from his mum, not the other kids, and it wasn’t until high school that he learned there were others like him. Gay, lesbian, bisexual, and even pansexual, but those other kids hid it, and it must have been pretty well since they never got a beating like Niall did.

--

“We have to keep in touch, okay?” Brooke whispered into his ear, as she hugged him goodbye. Niall was finally going home to his mum, and friends, and Harry. Oh how he missed Harry. He was always on his mind, he wouldn’t leave it. He was going to find out who that guy was as soon as he got back. He didn’t care if he had to tie him down he would find out.

“But isn’t that being controlling? What if Harry doesn’t want to tell me?” He thought. His mood sank, but he tried not to make it noticeable. He tightened his grip around Brooke instead.

“We will! Maybe I could fly you out here sometime, and I could show you all around London. It’s beautiful there, you’d like it.” He pulled back, instantly smiling. Brooke smiled back, and jumped in his arms for one last hug.

“God, Niall. I’m going to miss you so much. Oh, I think I’m going to cry.”

Niall chuckled, and placed her back on the ground. “I’ll fly you out in a month, Christmas break. How does that sound?” He asked hopeful.

Brooke instantly nodded, “I would love that! I can’t wait to meet your boyfriend; he sounds like a wonderful guy!”

Niall nodded, “He is, but Alfie doesn’t like him.” He whispered. Brooke narrowed her eyes, “I’ll talk to him about it.” She whispered back.

Niall placed a kiss on her cheek, “Thank you!” They parted ways. He and Alfie had already said bye, so he didn’t bother.

He waved one last time, before boarding the plane.

--

After an exhausting 8 hour flight, he was ready for bed. He hated the time zones, because it was day here, while it was night in New York. He searched for his group of friends, and mum. He spotted a sign that read, “WELCOME HOME NIALL.”