Chapter 26

This chapter made me cry, and is depressing. 

--

Walking into school the next morning felt different. He wasn’t talking about the pain in his arse, but it was a feeling in his gut, - or maybe the looks on everyone’s face. A sudden feeling of sadness washed over him. It was in the air; everyone was so silent. What was going on?

A woman then approached Niall, and she was crying. Tears were running down her face; her face was blotchy.

“Are you Niall Horan?” She asked, her voice cracking slightly. Niall gave her a nod. “May I talk to you alone for a minute?” He nodded again, and followed the woman. He noticed students giving them, - or the woman, sympathy looks. Students, and even some teachers, were crying and approaching the lady. What was going on? He asked himself again.

They came to a door, and Niall followed her inside. He sat across from her, and just watched her collect herself before speaking. “You may not know me, but you knew my son. It wasn’t in good terms, but that’s why I’m here today. I don’t know if you heard, but my son, Josh, killed himself last night. He had schizophrenia, and it got so bad…” She trailed off.

Niall’s heart had fastened, and he could feel tears spring to his eyes. Sure Josh bullied him, but he had a mental illness. That explains why he did it. He was told to do it.

“I didn’t know he was bullying you, but he wrote you a letter. I wanted to give it to you personally, and I want to say I’m sorry for the actions my son has done to you. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive him.”

Niall slowly took the note from her out stretched hand, and held it close to his chest. “His showing is Wednesday, I would like if you came.”

Niall could only nod. He was speechless. Sure he only knew Josh on bad terms, but this was someone he had gone to school with for years. Almost all his life. He never knew Josh had a mental illness; He was sure no one knew.

A tear fell from his eye, and he quickly wiped it away. Josh’s mum started sobbing, and Niall quickly stood and sat next to her. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders, and she fell into his embrace. He didn’t say anything, he didn’t need too.

“I forgive him…” Niall mumbled, and held on tighter when the woman began sobbing harder.

--

“Dear Niall.

Wow, that sounded lame, didn’t it? I guess it doesn’t really matter how I start this off, because I saved your letter for last. This will be my last letter to anyone. I could say sorry a million times and it would never make up for how I treated you. So I won’t say sorry, I’ll give you an explanation. You have probably wondered why I chose you as my target, when I had no reason. I have schizophrenia, and the voices in my head told me to do it. They had me believe you were out to get me. I thought you were going to hurt me, I seen things that weren’t even there. That day in the park, they told me you had a gun. I attacked you before you could attack me. I seen the gun, but it was only your phone.