Chapter Two

New Adult.

Contemporary Romance.

Erotica.

I was drooling over the latest order of books to come into the library. My idea of heaven, as I knelt on the floor to sort through five full boxes. I could ask for help, but this was the part of my job I loved the most, and rarely let Laith Library's assistant manager, Markus, in on the fun.

It was an early start for me today after I struggled to sleep for the concern of Joshua and his nightmares. I didn't bring it up this morning as he seemed so shaken up, but I gave him the option of meeting me here for my morning break, which he surprisingly agreed to do.

A change of scenery could be what he needed right now.

Two more boxes appeared at my knees thanks to Markus, who was in charge of bringing them up from the stockroom. "Okay, so that's it for Romance. I'm going to start on Sci-Fi."

I sorted through the big box with 'BESTSELLING AUTHORS' scribbled on the sides. "Good plan. I don't think the order is as bad as it seems."

He pushed his fingers through his electric blue tipped Mohawk. "Nah, me neither. It's all good. I meant to ask you how things are between you and Matt? Still rocking the whole friends with benefits thing?"

"Yeah," I said on a wink, reaching behind me to pull out my phone to bring up the picture he'd sent me this morning after his shower. "Look at those abdominals."

Markus ripped the phone from my hand. "You lucky cow. Can't I borrow him for the night?"

"Somehow, I don't think Cory will be too pleased about that one," I replied with a big smile on my face, knowing that Markus would rather chop off his own foot than be unfaithful to his boyfriend.

"Cory would be proud of me. I mean, have you seen the guy?" he replied, eyes still scanning over the screen.

"Yes." I laughed. "In more ways than one."

"Bitch," he mumbled under his breath and then passed my phone back to me. "Don't you ever worry you'll catch feelings for him?"

I ticked off the New Adult titles as I fished through the different authors. "Not really. I mean, we did the whole relationship thing for two and a bit years, and it didn't come to anything good. We promised each other that if we met someone else, we could see a future with, then we would call things off."

He frowned so deep his forehead lines showed through. "Sounds messed up to me, but who am I to judge? I just don't want you to get hurt."

I tilted my head to look at him. "It's messed up. We know that, but it really seems to work for us. And thank you for your concern. But I'm not getting hurt. I see Matt as a good friend. If he were to meet a sweet girl and want to settle down, I'd feel joy for him, not envy."

Markus let out a low noise of disapproval. "We'll see, Tabby. It always stings to see your ex with someone new. And it's not like you had the time to heal from the relationship, because you're still in it."

I laughed, not expecting for him to understand. I didn't get it either. "We're not in a relationship."

"Okay," he replied, blowing out a long breath as he got stuck into the box of Si-Fi novels.

I would not try to explain it. "How was your night at that new restaurant in town? I forget the name."

"Rosemary," he replied, turning a Frank Herbert's book around in his hands. "It was good, but we waited forever for the food. I kind of expected that because it's new, though. The gnocchi was worth the wait."