Chapter Three

I always enjoyed Matt's taste in decor. Minimal, yet homely, he had that classic home space down with white wash walls, splashed with kitsch-style pictures and automatic smart blinds that moved up and down from the navigation of his mobile phone.

It almost instantly put your head in a clearer space, which I needed this morning. I spent the night here sleeping next to Matt, worrying about Joshua. I let Megan know her brother was home alone, and she assured me he was okay.

It was bound to be hard for him to open up about his trauma, which he had done with me, but his quick anger hinted that he still had a lot to process up there.

"What time you due in at work?" asked Matt as he stood bare-chested, rubbing a towel over his head.

I pulled my hoody over my tee and sat back on the bed to slip on a pair of socks. "It's my day off today."

He threw his used towel in the washing basket near the door and turned just enough to show me a hint of his cheeky smile. "Well... I have a dentist appointment at ten o'clock, but then I'm free for the day, so why don't you stay here and wait for me to come back?"

I shook my head. "No can do. My to-do list is a mile long today. And I want to go check on Joshua."

Matt blinked harder. "Are you sure that I can't tempt you to stay?"

I moved forward so I could kiss his cheek softly when he stepped over here, smiling when he stroked the back of my head. "Not today, big guy. I promised Megan to look out for him."

"And he stepped over a line yesterday. You don't owe him a thing," he replied, showing me his frown lines.

I nodded. "I know, but Joshua is going through something that neither one of us will ever be able to understand. We have to cut him some slack."

I was also struggling to realise why I felt so compelled to help him.

Matt didn't look too happy about it, but he kept his mouth shut on the matter.

"Your trust in people scares me sometimes," he replied, sliding his hand from the back of my head to smooth his slender thumb over my cheekbone.

I placed my hand over his to give him a little reassuring squeeze. "Don't worry about me, okay?"

"If you say so." He let his eyes wander my face. "Just a heads-up, we won't be able to have another sleepover for a few days because mum and dad are staying here until Sunday night."

I pushed his hand away so I could move myself to rest against the headboard. "Why didn't you tell me your parents were coming up? They love me."

He snorted. "Always so modest. I didn't tell you because I thought it might be weird for you."

"Why would it be weird for me?" I questioned.

Matt tugged at his tee when it went tight around his waist, throwing himself down on the bed to pull socks over his feet. "You know the story. They were mad that we broke things off, and mum refuses to listen when I try to explain our friends with benefits agreement."

I reached for the cushion at the side of me to launch at him. It caught him in the ribs hard enough to make him wince out of the way. "I would think so. Too much information, Matt!"

He laughed. "Yeah, I should probably apologise to her."

I fell to the side and onto the fluffy pillows, sure that I could sleep for another five hours in this bed. "Or never mention your sex life again to her. Both should work fine."

"Gotcha," he said on a grin, tossing me one of my beanie hats from my small section in his wardrobe when I slid out of bed. "You hungry this morning?"