Chapter Thirteen

I pressed my foot down on the accelerator of Joshua's car with so much force that my toes were going numb. City driving took a whole new level of skill, especially in rush hour. Today was the day. We were on our way to pick Damon up from the airport, and I stupidly agreed to let it be my first driving lesson.

"Christ, Tabitha," Joshua shouted, reaching over to take hold of the steering wheel, righting the car when it veered to the left."That car almost crashed into us."

I wrapped my already white fingers around the steering wheel to get a stronger grip. "Roundabouts scare me. I thought I was all right to go."

He released his hand from the wheel to rest it on his lap, trying his best to seem unaffected when the way his eyes flicked all over the road ahead of us told another story. "You always give way to the right. Otherwise, you'd get nowhere. I'm just grateful you drove away quick enough."

"You should have seen how driver looked at you, Tabby. Gave you the finger and everything," Megan said, making herself known from the backseat.

I huffed at myself, being extra careful with looking in my side mirrors now. "I told you we should've stuck L-plates all over the car, so they can see that I'm a learner from all angles."

Joshua turned down the air-con when it blew out at full-speed. "It's fine. You're still doing well. Let's not let it ruin your confidence."

"Once we get out of this car, I'll need a stiff drink," I replied, wanting to pull over right this second, but the motorway was stopping me.

He reached out his hand and placed it on my knee, squeezing twice before pulling it back to his lap. It worked at calming my nerves almost instantly.

"I've got some vodka in my bag if you want some?" said Megan, so matter of fact that it sent a snorting laugh straight out of my mouth.

Joshua turned in his seat so he could see his sister properly, catching the puzzled look on his face from the corner of my eye. "You carry vodka around with you?"

I flicked my gaze up to see Megan shaking her head. "No, I brought my night out bag instead of my everyday one. I was searching for my lip gloss and came across a mini bottle of Smirnoff."

Joshua snickered then. "And, why doesn't that surprise me?"

"Because I'm such bloody fun?" she replied.

"Yeah, it must be that." And when he finished his sentence, without thinking, he reached out his hand to rest it on my knee. It sent little flutters to my stomach. "At least we have Tabitha to level out your crazy."

I chanced a quick look at him and when he noticed my warming cheeks he reached over to his side of the door to open the car window a fraction with a big grin.

Megan tugged on her seatbelt strap so it allowed her to sit forward and rest her arms at either side of the car seats to talk to us easier. "Tabitha's my girl, right, babe?"

I nodded enthusiastically, smiling like a goof. "You know it, babe."

She sighed as she rested her cheek on the headrest of Joshua's car seat, reaching over to pat at his chest. "I can't wait for you to meet Damon."

Joshua shuffled about uncomfortably as he grabbed onto her hand to smack a hard kiss on her knuckles. "I'll be having a few words with him."

All of a sudden, Megan wrenched her hand back to push his head and almost burst my eardrum. "Don't you dare do anything to ruin this, Josh. I'll bloody kill you if you do."

"If he's the guy you make him out to be, then a little protectiveness on my part isn't going to do any harm," he spoke the truth.

She let out an annoyed sigh and threw her body back into her seat, pulling her mobile phone from her handbag along with the vodka. I kept my eyes on the road, but looked in the rearview mirror to see her necking the liquid. She caught my eye and stuck her tongue out with smiling eyes.

She spoke up. "Well... still don't ruin this for me."

...

Joshua stood near the terminal exit with me while Megan was hugging Damon like he was her last breath. It was sweet to see, and even Joshua was grinning at them, but quickly changed his expression when they turned in our direction.

They suited as a couple with Damon's surfer-style exterior and Megan's feline features. You couldn't help but stare as they walked on by with the eyes of the airport agreeing with me.

"Hey guys," Damon said off the bat, looking entirely comfortable in our company. "How you going? It's great to meet ya."

I was the first to make contact, smiling when I said, "It's good to meet you too. How was your flight?"

Damon's curly blonde hair caught in his eyes when he moved his face towards me. Very Cute. Go, Megan. "It was decent. I slept most of the second flight."

Not wanting to be left out, Joshua cleared his throat to gain their attention. "Is that all the bags you brought with you?"

Damon let out a low chuckle which drew Megan closer to him. "Yeah, man. I travel light."

The holdall in his hand didn't look full either. "How can you do that? I always take half of my wardrobe with me when travelling," I said.

"I'm a dude, babe. Clothes are the last thing on my mind," he replied, giving Megan a sweet, but brief kiss on her lips when she tilted her head back.

Fair enough.

We headed back to the car with Megan and Damon trailing behind us like a pair of lovesick puppies. Joshua's hand kept brushing past mine, and I longed to entwine our fingers together.

He said he wanted to take things slow. The only problem with that being that I struggled to keep my hands to myself when he smelled and looked as good as he did today.

Arse-hugging jeans, slouchy fit jumper and scuffed brown lace-up boots—big fat tick from me!

"Give me the keys," he said, holding his hand out. "I'll drive us back."

I dug into my jean pocket to retrieve his car keys, secretly elated that he didn't expect me to drive back. He purposely brushed his nails over the back of my hand and stroked my wrist, sending a wild amount of prickles to my skin.

"Come on, you two. We need to get back sometime today," he said, smirking at me over his shoulder when he let go to open the boot up for Damon to dump his bags.

"Coming, bossy boots," Megan replied in an airy voice, closing her eyes when Damon bent down to press his nose into her cheek, as she reached out to poke Joshua's stomach when she got to the car.

Happiness was infectious.