Chapter Twenty-eight

I glanced over at my mother for the third time, seeing her sobbing into a tissue and brushing my father's hand away when he tried to comfort her. Mad that he wasn't giving all of his attention to the happy couple at the front of the church, she pointed angrily in Hanna and Bruce's direction. I smiled gently when dad's eyes met mine and tried not to laugh out loud when he gave her an exaggerated eye roll. Apart from my mother's crying, the service was beautifully happy.

The vicar smiled at my sister as she spoke her vows into the eyes of her devoted husband and announced some more powerful words before he looked up, glanced around the large church and said, "I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride."

The cheers erupted as Bruce wrapped one hand at the back of Hanna's neck with the other placed on her belly and kissed her gently. It was hard not to shed a tear in that moment at the sheer love they held for one another. I didn't have to look at my mother to know she was inconsolable, now letting dad hold her to his chest. I sniffed and patted at my eyes, not wanting tears to ruin such a wonderful moment. The two bridesmaids sat next to me on the front row, got up and hugged me with a tight embrace.

"Tabby," Hanna called as she walked down the aisle, holding Bruce's hand, seeming almost drunk with delight. "Follow us out, sis. The photographer is waiting outside for the first picture leaving the church, and I want you in it."

"Okay!" I grabbed my clutch bag and followed them, catching sight of Matt and Olivia sitting near the back. I waved, and they both stood up to talk to me. "Catch up later? It's picture time."

Olivia nodded enthusiastically, the fascinator on her head bobbing in all directions. "Sure. You look stunning."

Bless her heart. As did she, in a turquoise shift dress with a pearl white shawl to cover her slender shoulders. "Thanks, babe, you too. I love your dress. See you in a bit."

My mother appeared to be behind me and grabbed hold of my hand, wanting in on the photograph as well. I squeezed her fingers and plastered a genuine smile across my face when the church doors swung open to reveal a crowd of people who threw confetti and shouted their congratulations at Hanna and Bruce. They were close together and laughing with small bits of pink and white paper in their hair as the photographer snapped away, taking at least ten pictures of them.

"I've never been as proud of my girls as I am today," Mum told me when Hanna and Bruce disappeared for their single pictures.

I used my fingers to wipe away her tears, kissing her cheek when she grabbed me in for a hug. "Doesn't Hanna make the most beautiful bride? I've never seen her this content."

"I agree," she said, pulling my hand to hers to squeeze it. "You, my darling, make the most beautiful maid of honour. Both of your beauty surprises me every time I see you. I was never half as pretty as you both are."

"Nonsense." I narrowed my eyes, taking in her porcelain skin, high cheekbones and soft pink rosebud lips. "You were beautiful then, and you are now. We both adore you, mum."

The love in her eyes just about burst my heart. I could never recall a time where I doubted her love for me. Unconditional and true. "I know, and I the same. I saw Matt in the church with a woman. Is he dating her?"

"Yes." I glanced around the church grounds to see if I could spot them, but it crowded with too many guests to see. "I must introduce you to Olivia. You'll love her."

"I noticed how he looked at her," mum replied, giving me a reminiscing smile. "It was like how he used to look at you, but more if that makes sense?"

It made a lot of sense. "Yes, I've seen it myself."