Chapter Twenty-five

I passed my driving test!

Sick of always having to rely on the bus, I bit the bullet and booked myself into a ten-day intensive driving course. It wasn't easy, with me wishing I was more confident, wanting to cry with frustration, and laugh as Arthur, my driving instructor, sung along to his favourite tunes on the radio.

I wouldn't change any of it, especially when the examiner said the words: You're road ready. Never in a million years did I believe I would rip those L plates from the car and drive off into the sunset.

"Mum," I said into the phone when Arthur drove us back to my house. "Guess what?"

"Tell me, tell me," she replied, sounding so giddy that she may burst with it. "Your father and I have been living on eggshells all morning."

I giggled as I clutched my test paper in my hand. Would it be silly to frame it? "I've only gone and done it, Mum. I'm officially a licensed driver."

"Yes! Oh, my darling," she squealed and then I heard my dad's excited cheer. "Oh, congratulations, Tabby."

"Thanks, mum. Can you believe it?"

"Yes," she said. "I knew you could do it. You can do anything that you set your mind to."

When the car pulled down the lane leading up to my street, I collected my handbag from the footwell to pull out my chapstick, feeling my phone buzz with a text message against my face which I would answer once I got out of the car. "I'm almost home. Can I call you back once I've said goodbye to Arthur and settled down?"

"You've no need to call back, darling," she said with a smile in her voice.

I frowned. "What, why? Are you going out somewhere?"

She giggled down the line, whispering to somebody. "You'll see."

The line bleeped as she put the phone down and I pulled it from my ear, wondering what she had planned. Strange. Using the time to check my text messages to see it was from Olivia, so I messaged back with the good news. Arthur turned left and then everything made sense.

I saw my parents standing outside my driveway, holding hands with the biggest smiles, before my eyes fell on the car in my driveway wrapped in a big pink bow. Oh, my gosh. They'd gone and got me a car?

"What's going on?" I said, leaping out from the car to get a better look at the enormous pink bow that was glittering under the sun.

"Surprise!" they said in unison, pleased with themselves. Dad stepped forward. "It's all yours, sweetheart."

"You bought me a car?" I said, blinking a bunch of times.

Mum spoke up this time. "Yes, we have because we think you deserve it. Congratulations, Tabby. We're so proud of you."

I covered my mouth and turned back to look at the Hollywood red Vauxhall Corsa sitting proudly in my little driveway. It couldn't be more perfect. I jumped on the spot like a kid, which made them cheer in glee. "It's beautiful. Oh, thank you. Thank you. Thank you!"

"You're so welcome." Mum held her hand out towards dad. "Keys, honey?"

Dad smiled at me and passed over the black car key attached to a keyring that said my name. My eyes tingled when my dad grabbed my hands. "I'm so happy to do this for you, Tabitha. Go get 'em."

"I feel like the luckiest person on earth right now. I'll get 'em, dad. All of them." I let myself feel the joy of the situation, not sure who we were referring to... life, maybe?

"Have a look at your new baby, then." Mum pushed my shoulder, as excited as me.

"You need not tell me twice."