Chapter Nine

A last-minute visit from the owners of the library had everyone at work on edge. I paced the floor of the staffroom twice with my eyes glued to the door. They called it an emergency meeting, saying to prepare ourselves for bad news. I got a sick feeling in my stomach then, stressing about the inevitable. I tried to give myself a pep talk, but it was useless when Lucy, a part-time worker, rushed in here with flushed cheeks and teary eyes.

I watched her open her locker and grab her stuff from it. "Is everything okay, Lucy?"

Startling at my voice, she turned and conveyed me with a shocked expression on her face. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Tabitha."

I frowned, that worry settling in my gut starting to burn. "What do you mean?"

It was then that the owner, Mary, stepped in here. Alert, I jumped forward, following her into the manager's office. My nerves skyrocketed. Mary was a collected woman. The anxiety in her eyes wasn't a good thing. I fidgeted with my fingers, not quite knowing how to greet her.

"Hello, Tabitha," she said, moving towards the desk to grab a seat and point to the other. "Please, sit. We need to talk properly."

"Yes, of course," I hurried over to the chair, pulling at my top when the tiny beads of sweat slipping down my neck became uncomfortable. "Are you well?"

"I've been better, love. I'm going to get straight to it because I value you as an employee and I want to be honest with you."

Yeah... this wasn't good at all.

I pressed my hands between my knees to stop them from jumping. "Right, what's going on?"

She clasped her hands together and rested them on her lap. "The business is being liquidised. I'm bankrupt, Tabitha."

Slam.

My heart sunk to the pit of my stomach.

"I'm sorry? How are you bankrupt?" I whimpered, praying that I heard her wrong.

Her face crumbled. "The bills, loans, council rates are far too much. I thought I could survive. That it was only a blip, but I'm afraid I was way over my head. I can't do this any longer. I have to give up."

I blinked, feeling suddenly desperate. "I didn't realise it was this bad. I knew things were a little tight, but they are everywhere. I know the library opening on the University campus hasn't helped, but, I thought we were okay."

Trying to process my thoughts wasn't impossible as they all jumbled together.

"No, dear, and that's not your fault. I led you to believe things were fine. To be honest, I didn't want to admit it to myself," she replied.

I covered my mouth, feeling out of puff. "How did you pay the wages?"

She moved her gaze to her lap. "My personal savings."

"No, Mary! How long has this been going on?" I asked.

"Quite a while. A year, maybe."

It was impossible to hold back the tears now. The shock, sadness and disbelief becoming too much to handle. "I can't believe it's come to this. Have you any money left?"

I couldn't help but feel dirty, knowing that the vulnerable lady in front of me's hard earned cash was sitting in my bank account, while she fought for every penny. The urge to transfer it back hit me.

"Is there no way of saving the company? I've worked for this business for seven years. I feel just as responsible as you do," I replied, wiping my eyes with my fingers.