Chapter Nineteen

I've listened to this song on repeat writing this chapter and it gets you right in the feels! 💕
...

I woke up the next morning at my parent's house. The familiar scents of vanilla candles and home-brewed coffee comforting me right away. We loved our coffee. Always picking up some kind of coffee beans from places we travelled to because my dad liked to crush the beans himself.

It was quite special.

"Tabitha," whispered mum as she pushed her way into the room, something in her voice causing my heart to do a slow, painful turn in my chest. "Sweetheart, something awful has happened."

I sat up in an instant at the sight of her tears. "Is it the baby? Where's Hanna?"

"No," she choked back. "Hanna is fine. Sweetheart... oh, it's Megan. I'm so sorry."

I felt as if my throat were closing up. Why would she be sorry? What the hell had happened? I tried my hardest to swallow the hard balls of saliva, but it was useless.

"She's died, baby," she said on a loud sob and I lost it. My soul definitely left my body for a second because when I came around, my mother squished me tight in her embrace as I yelled the house down.

"How?" I gasped, taking in large gulps of air, fighting the hysteria to gain some kind of semblance.

The pain splashed across mum's face could only mirror my own as I screwed my eyes up tight at the mounting emotions. I felt so confused, like I had lost something so precious to me without my brain being able to compute it.

She put her hand on the back of my head to hold me still as she buried her lips in my hair. "In her sleep last night. They think it was her heart, but they won't know for sure until the autopsy."

All the times she complained about being cold. Could it have been a serious problem?
Blue fingers. Head pains. Dizziness. I should've listened to my gut and forced her to see a doctor.

This sucked. I was so devastated that I feared for myself. My best friend. My poor best friend who died without the chance to say goodbye.

It suddenly felt too real. "You're lying. You're lying. Stop ly-lying!"

The whimper mum let out caused several more to pull out of me as she told me she wished it were a joke. That she was sorry and that she wanted to take all of my hurt away, but it fell on deaf ears.

I couldn't stop the pictures of her dead body flashing in my mind, some morbid thoughts taking over.

Hanna slipped into the room with little noise, sitting beside us so she could just cuddle me. I didn't know what to do with myself, so I just let her hold me with tears dribbling off the edges of my jaw.

"I think she's in shock," mum whispered a moment later, stroking a gentle hand over the top of my head, but all that entered my head was Joshua.

I needed him, and he would need me.

I shook both of them off and climbed onto my shaky legs to throw my stuff into my big bag while I blindly got dressed into my leggings and long jumper.

"What're you doing?" said Hanna as she followed me out of the bedroom where dad and Bruce dispersed once they saw me come out of the door.

You could hear mum's slippers pounding against the staircase when she followed me. "Sweetheart, you need to sit down, you've had the worst shock possible."

I pulled out my phone from my handbag to see that I had four missed calls from Joshua. I called him back three times, but he didn't answer, giving me more motivation to get back home.