Chapter Sixteen

I left Abbicott College with the biggest smile on my face. My new employer, Diane, waving me off from the library door with a grin that matched mine. I totally smashed my interview. Well, I assumed I did from the full-time job they offered with an immediate start.

Gosh, did it feel good to be working again?

My phone cried out when I reached the exit gate near the carpark where Matt - who drove by me on my way here this morning to offer me a lift- was waiting for me. I needed his level-head to ease my crazy nerves.

"Hello?" I answered, reading my sister's name flash across the screen. "Everything okay, Hanna?"

"No," she replied, sounding at the end of her tether. "Why haven't you answered my invitation for the hen party yet? It's on Saturday!"

I closed my eyes on a wince at my forgetfulness, feeling the bubbling of guilt build in my stomach. "I'm sorry, Hanna. It totally skipped my mind. You know that I'll be there."

She scoffed. "Well, isn't that charming, Tabitha? You know, if you don't want to be Maid of Honor, I can strip you of the title."

I'd hurt her. "No, I want it more than anything. Things have been a little crazy my end. It's this Saturday at seven, right?"

"Yes," she snapped. "I was hoping we could spend the day together, or is that going to be too much trouble for you as well?"

I frowned at her hostility. "Hanna? Is everything okay?"

I heard her sniffles and my hand gripped the phone harder.

"I don't bloody know! I'm an emotional mess. I can't sit still. I'm beyond tired. My boobs hurt like a bitch and whenever I smell Bruce cooking, I want to heave. I'll be happy when this wedding is over."

I caught myself in a smile. "You don't think there's a chance that you are...?"

"What?" she replied, sounding so fed up.

"You don't think there's a chance you're pregnant, do you?"

The line went into absolute silence. "You know I can't get pregnant."

"The doctor said that there was a twenty percent chance, honey," I whispered, not wanting to upset her.

Babies were a sensitive topic for my sister. When she got diagnosed with acute Endometriosis at seventeen, she underwent an operation to stem some tissue that had attached itself to every bit of her reproductive organs, but was told the chances of pregnancy would be very slim.

"Don't," she replied, and then her breathing hitched up a notch or two. "Tabby, what if I am pregnant?"

My lungs seemed to fill up with too much air as I forced the words out."There's only one way to find out. Go to the chemist on your dinner break and get a test."

The sound of her joyful shriek pulled a high-pitched giggle from me, wishing more than anything that I was there with her at this very moment. A profound sense of loneliness hit me, drowning me in the feeling. I had good people here, but sometimes there was a void that only family could fill.

"Sod my dinner break. I'm going to the chemist now," she replied.

I laughed. "Okay, but promise that you'll let me know either way?"

"I'll message as soon as I find out. Love you!" And she left the chat.

I glanced over at the carpark to find Matt sitting in his car, watching me with those constantly curious eyes of his. I lifted my hand up in the air to stick my thumb up and signal the good news regarding my job, which pulled a big smile from him.