Chapter Eleven

My heart pounded against my ribcage as I took the stairs two at a time. Lara was too fast. She'd outrun me by miles. I reached the top of the staircase and found the flat door to be slightly ajar, hearing her distressed voice over Joshua's angry one.

Oh, dear lord.

Please don't let that be because of me.

"You should've called to let me know you were coming," Joshua bellowed just as I stepped through the door.

"Calm down," Lara pleaded, her voice breaking in every way possible. "I'm your friend. It's what we do, remember? Turn up unannounced?"

Joshua's face contorted into a fierce expression, forcing Lara to take a step back or two. "I was sleeping! Do you have any idea how dangerous it is for you to trespass like you did? Anyone could watch us!"

Paranoia.

It was upsetting him that Lara had apparently disturbed his sleep by opening the flat door without him knowing she was coming to visit, and he couldn't control the people around them.

"I'm so sorry. Megan gave me a key when she was away in case of an emergency, and I haven't got around to giving it back yet. You weren't answering the door, so I panicked and let myself in here," Lara replied, her voice as soft as a feather.

I passed through the door, seeing them both stood near the television stand. Joshua was looming over Lara with wild eyes as she looked up at him warily, as if she thought he was a ticking time bomb. I didn't blame her for acting that way. Once he got consumed by one of his panic episodes, he felt unreachable.

"I can't keep people safe if they insist on being incompetent! You've brought danger into my home, where I live with my sister and her friend. God only knows who could get to us," he said, tugging at his hair as he spoke through his teeth.

I tried not to smile at the way he called this place his home, as it was wildly inappropriate considering the circumstances. But, knowing that he was now considering it to be sent a warmth to my heart, because it felt like a step in the right direction.

Lara held her hands up. "I made a mistake, and I'm sorry. I won't do it again, okay?"

His eyes moved around the room at a lightening speed. "Please tell me you closed the front door?"

Lara spun around in a panic to catch my eye as she started forward to go check. "I don't remember."

"Lara," Joshua, who had yet to notice me, whimpered out loud and barrelled in my direction. "I can't believe you."

The sound of his footsteps echoed through the hall until he got closer to me and rounded the slight bend, coming to a complete stop near my coat rack. The tension on his face melted away, and he replaced his scowl with a sweet smile.

"Tabby," he said, blinking as the worry lessened. "Hey."

"Hello, Mister Worry Pants. Are you going to take a breath?"

Suddenly the corners of his mouth tipped up even further as his shoulders sank down."I guess, I was worried something awful was going to happen."

I stepped forward and softly rubbed his elbow; the connection strumming through my body like the chords of an electric guitar. "You don't say."

Removing my hand from his elbow, I began towards Lara who had her hands clasped together in front of her stomach, watching me carefully. Their altercation had upset her, that much was clear, but the way he calmed so quickly must have intrigued her more. I didn't understand it either.