Chapter Fourteen

Two driving lessons in the same week was a test. It wasn't only Megan with a visitor, as Joshua was off to pick up an old friend from the bus station. Well, I was off to pick her up with him biting his already sore nails in the passenger's seat.

It was a nice shock this morning when he walked out of his bedroom door, dressed up in his beige chinos and crisp white shirt. So much so, that Megan wolf-whistled from the table as she and Damon dug into their bowls of soup.

I don't think he appreciated the attention, but it was hard not to look.

"So, who are we going to pick up?" I said as we came to a stop at the traffic lights.

Opening his legs, he gripped onto his long, lean thighs. "A friend from the army. Eden."

I nodded as I applied just enough gas to the clutch to pull away when the traffic lights turned green. "Oh, okay. I'll bet you're looking forward to seeing her."

"I am. It's been too long. Take the next right turn coming up here," he said, pointing to where I needed to be.

"How long has it been since you last saw her?" I reply, being extra cautious on the bend when the lorry parked up on the kerb doesn't give me much room.

He moves forward in his seat to get a look at the space between me and the lorry, placing a gentle hand on the wheel to guide me in the right direction. "God, that's tight."

"That's what she said," I blurted, grinning over at him when his chuckle rained all over me. I laughed back. "Sorry, that was childish, but I couldn't help myself."

"It was completely childish, but I kind of walked into it," he said, sliding his eyes over to me, lips slipping up at the edges.

"It feels like an obstacle course," I replied, catching sight of the flashing lights of an ambulance ahead.

"You're doing good, sweetheart, just watch your mirrors," he replied in a soft voice.

I couldn't help but glow under his compliments, feeling a boost of confidence as we followed down the road.

"So, you were telling me about Eden," I said when it went quiet again.

He nodded with his eyes firm on the road. "Erm, so it would probably be a year since we saw each other last."

The smell of his aftershave and soap was making it hard to concentrate on the road. "Seems like you'll have a lot to catch up on then?"

"Yeah, it'll be nice just to see an old friend, you know?" he said as we approached the bus station.

"I do. I totally get it."

I pulled into the space near the entrance of the big orange brick building and switched off the engine, shocked when Joshua slid his fingers across the back of my skull to pull me in for a sweet kiss. Our lips brushed a few times before he swept his thumb over my cheekbone, and then he edged back to stare into my eyes.

"This is wildly inappropriate, Mr Caswell. You're my instructor. We can't be kissing," I whispered, leaning in when his lips stretched wide into a cheeky grin.

I could taste the peppermint on his tongue when he went in for more, the soft moans escaping him mixing with in with my own.

"I think you're worth the risk," he said, panting, eyes dancing all over my face as he unbuckled his seatbelt.

My eyes fell on his plump lips.

He smiled. "Eden's bus will arrive soon. We should probably get out to meet her."