Chapter Ten

Megan dumped several job advertisement clippings in front of me on the coffee table with a heavy sigh. It was her first day back to work, and she looked ready to go to bed already. As a freelance nurse, she worked crazy long hours and an even crazier work schedule at the private hospital across town.

She pulled the top advert off the pile and showed it to me. "This is for the village library in Alvingham. They're looking for an experienced full-time worker. It might be perfect for you."

I read through the advertisement to see that the pay was a lot more than I got at Laith's Library, probably because it was council run rather than private. "It seems like a great opportunity, but it's a good fifty minutes away from here and I don't drive."

"True, but I think the bus runs every hour, or so, so not driving shouldn't be a problem. That's if you still want to be a librarian. You could try your hand at something new," she said.

"It's weird," I replied, leafing through the other adverts with absolutely no motivation. "It's like all my confidence has disappeared."

Megan smiled gently. "That doesn't sound weird at all. It's perfectly normal to feel that way going into something new. It can be scary."

I read through the library advert once more, before finding one for a local pet store. "I think it's more the fear of rejection that scares me. Alvingham is closer to where my family live, I guess. What are house prices like over there?"

She shook her head. "Not cheap, I would imagine. I'm half-tempted to rip that piece of paper up now at the thought of you moving out, but I know that's not fair, and I have no right."

I looked around our lovely little flat, thinking it would take more than a pay rise to move me from here. I felt at home whenever in this place, my heart completely in it. But I wasn't stupid, and if jobs became sparse, then I would have no choice but to branch out.

I stared harder at her this time, wanting to get my point across. "You know that even if I left, we'd still be friends, right?"

Megan picked up some leaflets, and the shock of seeing her fingertips so blue sent me back into my chair. "Always, there's no getting rid of me. That job would be perfect for you. Especially, because of how close it is to Louth."

I frowned, wondering if her hands were cold. "Are your fingers okay? They're turning blue."

She spread out her fingers to look at them. "I don't have the best circulation. They go like this sometimes."

"Is that normal?" I replied, knowing that it wasn't. "Have you seen a doctor about it?"

She wriggled them, bringing her hand closer to her face to get a better look. "I probably did at one point. I'm always cold, you know that."

Megan was the type of person who turned the heating on in the summer and slept with blankets over her duvet. It got frustrating sometimes, especially when you woke up sweating in the middle of the night.

Still, to me, blue fingers were worth worrying about. "Just keep an eye on it, babe."

"Will do," she said, turning her head to look at the enormous clock on the wall. "I best get a wriggle on and get something to eat, otherwise I'll be late going back to work."

"I'll make us a sandwich," I said.

I got to my feet and went into the kitchen to grab the wholewheat bread, pulling the ingredients from the fridge. I whipped them up in no time, even chopping up some veggies to go beside it.

Megan inhaled the entire thing in under three minutes, used to eating on the go, while I savoured every bite.

"Are you walking back to the hospital? I'm planning to go for a jog to clear my head a bit, so I could walk you there," I said, standing to clear our plates up.