Chapter 4

Riley

"Alright guys I think I'll start heading home." I say as I make my way out the door. I check my phone 7:05. I put my hands in my pocket as it is a little breezy outside. As I'm walking through a back alleyway I see a hand sticking out of a garbage can. Fear surges through my body as I make my way over to the hand. I gasp as I peer into the garbage can. 

"Maya?" I lift her face up so that I can get a better view and I can feel my face flush. She's got bruises all over her face and gashes in her neck from what looks like they could be from sticks. She's got a black right eye and from what I can see her skin is caked with blood. I run my fingers over her lips which were once pink and plump but were now bruised and beat. Tears run down my face as I stare at her. "W-what happened Maya?" She must have been jumped or raped. I lift her out of the garbage can and carry her home. 

When I get home I hastily unlock the door and make my way to the bathroom to fetch the first aid kit.

 "Riley! Your home-" I hear Auggie say but he immediately stops in his tracks. I'm guessing he saw Maya. "Riley... who is this? What happened to her?" I sigh. Mom and Dad are both still at work and probably won't be back until later on tonight. What am I going to do? "Wake up! Please wake up." I run out into the living room to find Auggie shaking Maya. I get a hot towel and start to wipe her face. "Please don't be dead." I say as I start to dab her wounds and bruises with the towel which was doused in rubbing alcohol. 

"Ah..." Her eyes flutter open and she makes a small noise. "MAYA!" I pull her into a hug. But she pushes me away and her eyes widen. "My... my dad hes... hes gonna kill me..." She tries to get up but falls back down onto the couch. Her dad? Her dad did this to her? When Maya left the Cafe it was around 5... she's been out for a while. Maybe she's just imagining it. I hope... "What do you mean your dad will... kill you?" I ask. She looks down. "Nothing."

I don't push for the last thing I want is to make her feel uncomfortable. "Auggie I need you to go to bed okay." Auggie doesn't argue. "Will she be okay?" I nod but I hear Maya grunt as if she doesn't agree. 

I start to rub ointment on her wounds and as soon as my finger touches her skin she blushes. Why would she blush? I laugh. "Why are you blushing?" She looks up at me and I'm immediately captured by those big blue eyes. Though one is slightly closed due to it being so bruised. She doesn't answer. As I reach for her arm to try and maybe clean any other wounds she pulls it away. Fear and shock dancing on her face. I frown.

"Maya-" But I stop myself. There is a reason she doesn't want me to clean her arms. I hope it's not the reason I think. Slowly her eyes start to widen. "M-M-" She stutters. "Maya what's wrong." She grabs my hand. "Michael..." Is all she says. I'm guessing it's either her sibling or her father's name. Most likely a little brother. Oh no. If it was her father who hurt her, then he might hurt this Michael even worse.

 "What's your address?" I ask.  

Cory Matthews

I take a deep breath as I stand at the door. 

89 Saint Woodkins street.

 I had gotten a call from Riley about a girl named Maya who's brother needed help. She explained it all to me and even had Maya talk to me. I sighed. I can't believe such a thing could happen to an innocent child. I knock and a little child opens the door. I can see the fear in his eyes and he's visibly shaking. 

"Michael?" I stoop down to his level. "I'm here to take you to a safe place okay?" I extend my hand and he grabs it. For him to trust me this easily... he must be in desperate need of help. We walk to the car and I position him in the front seat. I glance over at him. His wrists are badly damaged and his neck is bruised. He doesn't talk the whole ride to my house. 

When we walk through the front door I am taken aback by what I see.

"Mr. Matthews..." I look over to the kitchen to see Maya Hart. MY student Maya Hart. Riley had told me that the girl's name was Maya but I hadn't made any connections. "Maya." I walk over and give her a hug. 

"MAYA!" Michael and Maya practically jump into each others arms. Riley cleans him up and he goes off to sleep in Auggie's room. "Maya." I sit across Maya on the kitchen table. She looks down. She has her sweater on covering up her arms. Riley had told me the way she had behaved when she attempted to clean Maya's arms. I sighed. 

"I want to help you."