Chapter 19

Maya

I walk down the hall to elevator and make my way to the Ross' residents. Michael and my mom would be coming a bit later.

As I'm walking to the elevator a girl dressed in all black with big hoop earrings bumps into me.

"Opps my bad." She says eyeing me up and down. "It's-" She cuts me off. "What's your name?" I raise my eyebrow, confused. "Maya." She smirks. "Cute name." I smile. "I'm Carla." She pulls out a pen and grabs my arm. If my cuts hadn't healed, I would have winced.

She rolls up my sleeve and I let her write her number and socials. "Hit me up sometime." And with that she walks off. I stand there a bit confused but proceed to the elevator. When I get inside a brown skinned girl with incredibly long dark brown curly hair is standing on her phone.

"Hey!" I say she looks up with no expression on her face. I smile awkwardly. "I love your hair." She smirks and looks back down at her phone. "I'm guessing your Maya?" She says still not looking at me. "Yeah that's me. How did you know." She looks up. "Emma told me she was having guests over. I'm actually very fond of your mother. She's like a second mom to me." The girl says. I furrow my eyebrows. She finally smiles and proceeds to explain.

"I came over here to America from London after having been moved around so often. She fostered me for a little while until my parents got custody over me again." She says. "What happened?" I ask. But quickly add. "You don't have to te-" she laughs. "It's okay. I don't mind."

"My mother is blasian. Her mother is Asian and her father was Nigerian. My father is Latin and European. His mom is Dominican and his father is from London." She explains. "I was born in DR to two young stupid kids. My mom was 17 when she had me and my father was a horny teenager as well." I can't help but laugh and she laughs with me. "It's the truth. Anyways, his father and my mom's mother and father didn't feel like it was okay for them to raise me at the time. So I was flown all the way to South Korea and lived with my oehalmeoni (maternal grandmother) and nne nwa nna nna (maternal grandfather). They taught me Korean and Igbo. But when he died, my oehalmeoni couldn't cope and needed serious time alone so my paternal grandfather came and took me to London to live with him and my grandmother for a while. She taught me a lot of Spanish and he taught me English. Took me a very long time to grasp the English language." She laughs and I smile. Her life literally sounds like an adventure. "Yeah but anyways, after sometime I was sent to America for better education and your mom took me in." She smiles. "Eventually my parents got certified to be able to care for me and then came over to the US and yeah, the rest is boring." I'm in awe.

"Your life sounds like something out of a movie or a book!" She laughs and the elevator doors open and a butler is standing at the entrance waiting. "Thanks." She says. "Hey Burtrum." The butler grunts. "Yeah. Whatever. The kids are all upstairs." He says before plopping down onto the couch.

I follow the girl upstairs before realizing I never caught her name. "Oh! What's your name?" I ask. "Anita-Sunhi. I only friends to call me Sunhi." She replies smiling. "It's actually much longer than that but that's what I go by. Maybe I'll tell you my full name later." She winks.

Once we reach the top of the stairs we stop in front of a door that has the name "Emma" written in pink and blue on a big sign. Anita-Sunhi knocks the door and we wait.

A freckled face boy about my height comes walking down the hall. He stops and stares at us, then proceeds to walk over to us "Anita- Sunhi... Who's the babe?" He asks, obviously talking about me. I punch him in the arm and grab him by his collars.

"My name is Maya. And if you are not sure who a girl is, its better to ask 'hey who are you or what's your name' instead of 'who's the babe?'" I say before pushing him back. "Woah." He huffs. I roll my eyes and Emma opens her door.

"SUNHI! MAYA!" She screeches. I make a face at how the enthusiastic she is, but then laugh because it's adorable. "I apologize for my little brother." She says pulling us into her room, closing the door on the boy. "Who's that?" I ask. "That's Luke. My little brother by a year. He thinks he's a ladies man." She says sitting on her bed. I look around her room.

It's huge, a couple feet bigger than mine all around. Her bed looks like the bed of a princess and she has plush carpeting.

I look at her walls and see familiar faces. She has multiple Dan and Phil posters. A Melanie Martinez poster. Some Twenty One Pilots posters. A few Gigi Hadid and Kendall Kenner posters, some Rhianna, Beyonce and Nicki Minaj posters and a whole lot of Zendaya posters plastering her walk. "Woah. I love your wall." I say and her and Anita- Sunhi laugh. "That's what I said when I first saw it." "You listen to-" she cuts me off and pulls me towards one of her closets. We walk in and I see album after album organized nicely under banners with the artists name on it.

"Woah." Is all I can say.

~

"I think you should just date Smakle." Sunhi says.

*Anita-Sunhi is based heavily on a friend of mine who was dying to be in the story. The backstory applied to real life Anita-Sunhi as well.

Thanks for reading!

<3

*