Chapter 5

*This one is a little longer than usual*

Maya

I lay on the sleeping bag, eyes wide open for if I fall asleep I'll be consumed by nightmares. 

I'm so tired. 

I pick up my phone which is plugged into the wall. 4:32 . Oh god. I get up careful not to make too much noise because I don't want to wake up Riley. Too late. "Where are you going?" She says in an adorable groggy voice. "I just need some water." I say. I hate lying but what else am I supposed to do. I can never fall asleep on my own... so I have to find other means.

I walk into the living room where my bag sits on the couch and search through it for my blade. I named it Katy... after my mom because she comforts me I guess. When I find it I run into the bathroom and lean against the wall. I roll up my arm.

Bruises.

Some inflicted by myself, others by my father. I start to carve Riley's name into my left arm. I shut my eyes. I'm used to the pain it feels good. Blood runs down my arm onto the bathroom floor. I don't carve her name to big-just in case it's seen.

 I start to feel very dizzy. I quickly clean the blade, my arm and the floor and make my way back to the living room to hide it in my bag. I stumble into the room and collapse onto the sleeping bag.

*Time skip*

"Thank you for the breakfast Mrs. Matthews!" I say after finishing up. "No. Please just call me Topanga." She smiles warmly at me which makes me realize how much I miss my mother. Last night Mr. Matthew wanted me to tell him what happened to her. But I couldn't... because I don't know. 

"Come on Maya! My mom will take Auggie and Michael to school." Riley chirps. How can one person be so happy all the time. I aspire to have Michael be like that one day. He deserves nothing but happiness. I hug him and Auggie goodbye and make my way out the door with Riley. 

"Hey. Uh-" I start but I'm interrupted. "Maya don't worry.. We will figure out what to do about your father. Okay?" She takes my hand and smile but I can't smile back because I know this isn't an act of love but of comfort. Nothing but kindness. But I let her hold my hand for I enjoy the feel of her soft skin on mine. "Yeah, okay." Is all I can utter out. 

As we make our way towards the school a guy picks her up and twirls her around. She starts laughing and I can't help but smile. Everything about her is perfect. From her brown locks to her big chocolate eyes. From her rosy cheeks to her pink lips. I sigh as her and Lucas kiss.

 I walk away.

"Hey Maya!" I hear a chirpy voice and I turn around to see Smakle. "Hi!" She reaches to link our arms and I wince in pain. I immediately regret my action as Zay approaches us. "Are you okay?" He asks. Smakle's eyes widen in shock. Of course she'll understand why I winced. I drop my head and walk into the building. I don't care if she tells Zay. I don't care if she tells the whole school. I'm just worried about what they will think of me- what Riley will think of me.

Smakle

She cuts.

Riley had told us all what happened to Maya in the group chat last night. About how she found Maya hurt and unconscious in the alleyway. About how her father saved Maya's little brother. About how their father abused them. But I didn't think she cut. I've read stories and articles about stuff like this. A person usually winces if they have cuts on their arms- my thoughts are interrupted. 

"We should probably go after her." Zay says as he makes his way up the stairs. 

I reach my arm out and grab his. "No. Not now. Later." He nods and the bell rings. We head up to classroom. When I walk in I don't see Maya. Zay looks as worried as I am. I turn to a girl sitting in the back of the class. "Hey have you seen Maya?" She nods her head and Zay and I sigh a sigh of relief. "She went to her locker." I smile and take my seat. 

"Dad. Where's Maya?" Riley asks as she walks into the classroom. Lucas rolls his eyes and grunts. "Why do you care?" Oh boy. "You know why I care Lucas!" He shakes his head and walks to his seat. "She'll be in soon." Mr. Matthews says. 

"Okay-" He is interrupted as Maya walks into the classroom. "Sorry. I was at my locker." She quickly sits down. I turn to look at her. "You okay?" I whisper. She jumps a little but forces a smile and nods her head. I sigh. 

She's lying. 

Lucas

Maya this, Maya that. 

All Riley texted me about last night was Maya. After she told us what happened in the group chat she just wouldn't stop talking about this girl. Maya likes Riley. I can tell and I am not at all okay with it. Riley is mine-always has been. I don't trust Maya. She probably just wants sympathy. After all the girl likes drama. I'm making it my duty to make sure that her and Riley don't get too close. For Riley's sake.

"Sympathy." I hear Mr. Matthew's voice at the front of the room. He's got Sympathy written on the board. 

Ha! What a coincidence...