Chapter 7

My eyes flutter open and my head is being held by a woman in her mid thirties. She smiles. "Maya." She looks like me. She has my hair and my nose... "Mom?" She nods her head. "Sweetie I've missed you." Tears start to trickle down my cheeks. "M-Mom...? How are you here? How did you find me?" She drops my head as her face goes blank. She stands up and I nearly fall off of her lap. She runs and I chase after her. She is fast. Too fast.

I trip and bump into a blond girl. She turns around and stands over me. "Who do you think you are?" I shuffle to my feet. I gasp. This girl looks exactly like me. "I-I apologize." I start to walk away but she grabs my arm and pulls up my left sleeve. She looks down at my arm.

"Riley?" She snorts. "You should just give up on her because she doesn't like you and never will. She's only your friend because you're a freak who needs help."

I sigh. Everything she's saying is true. A girl like Riley wouldn't like me. She doesn't even like girls.

"That's not why she will never like you." I jump and look up at the girl. "W-wh-what do you mean?" She laughs and rolls her eyes.

"Your a monster. You harm yourself and enjoy the pain. You enjoy seeing blood seep out of your own arm. You're disgusting. You're own mother abandoned you." She retorts. She's right. "Of course I am. You should do Riley a favor and distance yourself from her because that will never work out. You are only going to make her sad and depressed because all she can think about is how pathetic your life is." She spits at me.

You're disgusting.

You're a monster.

Those two phrases engraved themselves in my mind and kept playing.

Over and over again.

I ran.

You're disgusting.

I kept running. I didn't want to hear her voice anymore.

You're a monster.

I fall into the street and the world slows. People started crowding around me. Throwing things and kicking me.

"MONSTER." They yelled. "You disgust me." A voice said behind me. I look up to see Riley. She scoffs. "How would you expect me to ever love you if you can't even love yourself." Ouch. That hurt. Really badly. I thought I wouldn't cry but the tears came. I'm soon snatched up by Mr. Matthew and carried out of the street.

*Time Skip*

My eyes flutter open and I rub them because they are blurry. I look around. I'm sitting on a white bed surrounded by signs with health facts on them. I look out the window and see the football field. I must be in the nurses office. I sigh. I can't believe I had a hallucination at school. How embarrassing. The door to the room opens and a short woman walks in with a bottle of water and some snacks. A stethoscope around her neck.

"Oh my goodness! You woke up!" She rushes over to me and plugs the headset into her ears and places diaphragm onto my chest. "Breath in and out normally for me okay." She says. My heart is beating really fast. I wonder how far I ran. "Would you mind explaining what happened to me?" I say. She takes a seat on the edge of the bed.

"Something must have triggered you and set you into a hallucination. You ran out the building and fell into the street. Some kids who were in the area during their free period came to help you but you were unresponsive. You were crying but you wouldn't respond when anyone talked to you. Riley had ran after you and got her father. By the time he got to you, you had passed out." I nod. Wow. Now I'm even more of a charity benefit. Everyone is going to know me as Maya the girl who had a break down in the middle of a street. The last thing I want is for people to feel sorry for me. "May I ask." I turn to look at the nurse who's face is full of sympathy. I have to stop myself from rolling my eyes. "What triggered the hallucination?" She asks. I scoff as I memories of what Lucas says slowly come back to me. I shake my head. "I don't know."

"Maya?" There is worry in her voice but she forces a warm smile. "Do you suffer from hallucinations like these all the time?" I feel my eyes start to tear up. I nod. "M-my mom... before she uh- disappeared was trying her hardest to figure out why I did because no one in our family- not even her parents or my fathers parents suffered from them." That was true. No one in our whole line suffered from them. I was the only one. Sometimes a word or phrase would trigger a hallucination. And I could never stop them. I gulped. The nurse pat my hand and stood up.

"It will be okay." I gasp. Those words. No one has ever told me them before. I always told Michael that everything would be okay but he could never say the same because he didn't believe so himself. Before my father distanced is from the rest of the family not even they told me it would be okay. They would always just sigh and shake their heads, unable to reassure me. Hearing those words made me feel happy. The nurse walked over to a cabinet on the other side of the room. She unlocked it and took out a bottle of pills that had my name on it.

"Here." She handed me the bottle. "While you were out I got you a prescription that will slow the hallucinations. I nod. "Maya. These pills are to help you." She stares hard into my eyes and then finally hands me the bottle. I look over to the couch and see my bag and put it in. The door to the room opens and I turn to see Smakle, Farkle, and Zay.

"Hi." They say in unison.