Chapter 6

Maya

The last thing I wanted was sympathy. I didn't ask to be found and saved and cared for. I wouldn't even mind if she had just let me die in the alleyway. Then I would be free. Free from hurt. Free from harm. Free from pain. Free from my thoughts and nightmares. My father told me that only the weak deserve sympathy. Only the weak deserve to be felt sorry for. If your strong you can take care of yourself.

Now look at what I've become. Some charity benefit.

"Can someone please explain to me what sympathy is?" Mr. Matthews says.

"Sympathy is-" Farkle starts to explain but is interrupted by Lucas. "Sympathy is when you feel sorry for someone because they are weak and need to be looked after." He looks over at me with a smile on his face. But it is not a warm smile. I look down.

"No that is not what sympathy is." Smakle stands up. "Sympathy is feeling pity or sadness for someone else due to their misfortune. It's being able to understand what someone is going through- like a common feeling." She looks over at me and smiles. I can tell she means what she says. But I don't want or deserve it.

"It's being able to give your condolences because you care about that person and want them to be okay." Riley says as she looks back at me but I look down. 

"Great answers everyone. Today we are going to be playing a little game. I want everyone to get up and move your desks to the back of the room. Then stand in the middle of the room." I hear whispers coming from around the classroom as everyone starts to move their desks. Once we've moved them we all stand in the middle.

"Now. We are going to play a game. Here are the rules. I will read a statement. If it applies to you, you will step forward and then step back when I tell you to. We will start off easy but then the statements might get a little personal. Form a line facing me." We shuffle into place. "I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable because we are all in here to help each other." I sigh. I don't mind stepping forward at all. It's just that Lucas' remarks from earlier are still eating at me. He seems- upset? angry? I gasp. Jealous. He was jealous. But why?

"First statement. I am happy." A lot of people step forward. But I don't. I can't or else I would be lying to myself. I look to my right. There are only two people who didn't step forward. One is a student with red hair and a million freckles. The other is a girl with curly brown hair. Then I turn to my left. There are three people standing. One is a girl with glasses and long black hair. The other is a boy whose hoodie is covering his head and most of his face. And then the last a student with adorable sweater paws... like me. I smile at them and they blush and drop their head. "Step back."

"I have a loving family." Again I don't step forward.

"I love myself." I don't step forward.

"I harm myself." I gasp and Riley turns to look at me. Her eyes wide as the moon. I wasn't expecting this statement until much later. I step forward and I can hear my name being quietly spoken. A lot more people step forward after me. I turn to my right and see sweater paws... cute nickname. They smile at me and then it's my turn to blush. Mr. Matthew continues to state and I continue stepping forward. Finally class is over. "See you tomorrow." He says.

As I'm packing up my stuff I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around to see sweater paws. "Hey." I smile. "Hey sweater paws." They giggle. "I like that cupcake." I blush. "Cupcake?" I ask. "Mhm. My names Sam by the way." I nod. "I'm Maya." Sam and I walk to the cafeteria together talking about nothing really. Talking to Sam makes me forget about how pathetic I am and how sad I am. As we stand in line Smakle comes up beside me. "Hey Maya! Hey Sam!" She waves. "You know Sam?" I asks. "Yeah we're neighbors." I laugh.

We get our lunch and I wave bye to Sam as I follow Smakle to our table. I roll my eyes when I see Lucas with his arm around Riley. "Hey." Zay says. I smile. "Hi." I'm glad that no one brings up the game we played in class. Wait- I spoke to soon.

"Why did you step forward when he said 'I only live with one parent?' What happened to your mom?" Lucas asks. My palms start to sweat and my face grows red. "Umm-" I'm cut off by Farkle. "Mind your business." He says. I put my hand over his and immediately take it away as I hear Smakle make an inhumane noise. "No no its okay." I start to play with my food. Unable to answer the question for if I try... I might just cry.

"Is it too hard to talk about?" Lucas asks in a mocking tone. I close my eyes as I feel them start to sting. "Lucas!" Riley shouts. "Did she leave you and your abusive father?" He retorted. The world started to spin.

I bit my lip. No. Not now.

*How is everyone doing? Let me know what you thought about this chapter. Excuse my sappy writing. I don't usually write fanfics so this is new. Also how many of you went to jail three times this week? Anyways see you soon!*