Chapter 11

Riley

I look down from Lucas and I's seat. I chose to sit behind Smakle and Maya. For what reason... I don't know. Seeing them today at the park blushing and holding hands. That made me mad. But I can't be jealous because Smakle is my friend and I care about her. I don't want to start any drama. So for now... I'll just let things happen.

WAIT.

SMAKLE LIKES MY PEACHES!?

No.

No.

No.

No. This is not okay. She can't like Maya. I like Maya. This competition could ruin our friendship and I really done want that. I feel a hand entangle itself with mine and I pull away. I gasp as I realize what I just did.

"What the fuck was that?" Lucas asks. I can hear the anger and confusion in his voice. Maya, Smakle, Zay and Vanessa turn to look at us. "N-nothing." I was so caught up in my thoughts about Maya that I completely forgot I had a boyfriend. "Don't talk to her like that!" Maya says to Lucas. He places an arm around me and pulls me so that my head is resting on his shoulders. I want to pull back- but that's not an option. Maya frowns and turns to face forward. Smakle opens her hand up and I watch as they entangle their hands. My cheeks flare up.

No I'm not blushing. And I'm not embarrassed.

I'm mad. I feel Lucas chuckle.

I then realize what he's doing.

Every time I get angry, upset or nervous. It makes Maya upset. Which gives Smakle easy access to comfort her. I grunt. "What's wrong baby?" He asks in a mocking tone. "Don't-"

Wait.

I can't break up with him right now. I need to let things happen. I lift my head off his shoulder and place myself on his lap. He grins as I slowly lean down to kiss him. I keep my eyes slightly open and can see Maya looking at us with a flushed face. I can feel him grin against my lips.

He sees it too. Which proves that I was right about his little plan. I try not to gasp as I realize that Smakle must be in in this plan too. Maya gets up and heads out of the theatre. Smakle appears to be very sad as she follows Maya. "Wha-?" Zay and Vanessa look confused.

I feel him lick my lips. I pull back but he tickles me until I laugh...

I immediately shut my mouth and get off of him.

"Smart." Is all he says before the movie starts to play.

Smakle

I pace the hallways.

I don't like this.

I don't like this at all.

I shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place.

I should have stopped myself from liking Maya the moment I realized she liked Riley... The first day.

Now I'm in the middle of a very messy situation. She walks out of the bathroom. I open my arms out to hug her but she pulls me into the bathroom and pushes me against the wall. "Uh wah-" Is all I can mutter before she crashes her lips onto mine. I don't kiss her back.

I can't.

She likes Riley. Not me.

I don't want her to catch feelings. She lifts her head up and there are tears in her eyes. "S-sm- smakle." She says, her voice breaking. "Maya you need to stop. You are only kissing me because you are mad at Riley and possibly Lucas. Your angry. I like you. A lot. But if this continues it'll only put us all in a huge mess in the end." I know that I have to make sure she doesn't fall harder for Riley but its clear that her feelings for Riley are stronger. She stands there and stares hard at me. "You don't like me." She says looking down at the ground. "You are just saying that. You are such a smart girl. You know that I'm just a girl who needs help."

I lift up her chin.

"Yeah. You are right." I say.

She stares at me with her mouth starting to open and I can tell she's confused as to why I'm agreeing with her.

"You do need help." I repeat. I hesitate. Everything I'm about to say is true but it could only make matters worse. I go for it anyways. "You need someone to show you the good in the world. The good in you. You need someone to remind you that you are not a freak. You're not worthless. You're not weak. You don't deserve to die either." I feel my eyes watering up as my voice breaks. "You're trying and that's all that matters. You are beautiful. I don't give a fuck whether or not you believe it because I'm standing here in front of you telling you that you are and I mean it." I finish. There is more I want to say but I can't cry right now.

She stares up at me with wide teary eyes. I lean forward and kiss her on her forehead. I extend my hand and we walk back into the theatre. Once we are seated she leans over and places her head on my shoulder .

"Thank you." Is all she says.

Maya

The movie is almost over but I wasn't paying too much attention.

Smakle's words kept replaying in my head.

She cares about me. That's a first.
"Best movie ever." I hear Lucas saying behind us. We all get up and head out.

"Let's get something to eat." Zay requests. "I agree. I'm pretty hungry." I say. He frowns at me and mouths 'you okay?' I nod my head. "Farkle should be on his way here actually." Smakle says. I laugh as I watch Zay's expression change into a huge smile. "Hmmmm..." Smakle and I say at the same time and we all laugh. "Shut up." He says.

"Zay." Vanessa says and we all stay quiet as she stands in front of him holding both his hands.

Zay

"Zay." Vanessa says as she stands in front of me holding both my hands.

Oh shit.

Is she mad? Does she think I like Farkle? Because- because I don't. I just enjoy his company. I mean... His smirk is adorable and-

"Zay?" She asks smiling."Yeah?" I reply. "I'm breaking up with you." She says with a smile on her face. I look around and see that my friends are as confused as I am. "What?" I ask. "To give you time and sort things out. To find yourself. And figure out your sexuality hopefully." She says. I smile. I love Vanessa because she understands me. "Thanks." I pull her into a hug and all I hear are 'awees' coming from the group. "When you need me, I'm always here. I'm not going anywhere." She says. I nod. My girlfriend just became my bestfriend in a minute...

And I'm not even mad about it.