Chapter 13

Tanning toward the sea, I looked behind to see Jer and Matt starting to run. Obviously Jeremy would win but it was okay. Seeing Jeremy reach the water, I felt warm arms wrapping around me and lifting me off my feet.

"Matt let go." I laughed, slapping him. He didn't let go. "Matty!"

"Getting you back for the Jelly." He said in my ear.

One time, when everyone was happy and safe, me and Matt were friends. Not as close as we are now, but we were friends. Elena was making her own special jelly, and I grabbed a bowl and fell with it. Let's just say it landed on Matt.

"Oh crap." I screamed as I hit the water, I swallowed a massive amount of it and started chocking.

"Oh shit." Matt said, tapping my back. "Are you okay?"

"Man up Mads!" Jer shouted from a few metres away.

"Thanks." I shouted back, once I stopped chocking. "That was harsh." I said to Matt.

"I'm so sorry." he said whilst looking into my eyes.

My legs went a little weak and I went a little but warm. God, I wanted to kiss him. His lips were pink and looked so soft. No! He's Elena's ex.

So awkwardly, I splashed water in his face. I say awkwardly because most of it went in my face. "Wow Maddison. Real smooth." I whisper to myself.

Matt obviously heard and giggled. "Maddy..."

"Yeah." I said.

And just then his lips smashed against mine and we were kissing. In our own little world. The warmth spread through my whole body and it wasn't awkward anymore. I gently placed my hands round his neck and leaned back.

When our lips parted, I frowned. Matt was just smiling down at me and soon realisation hit. Jeremy probably saw that and probably wasn't happy. Slowly turning my head, I saw Jer striding back over to our towels.

I sighed and let go of Matt. "Jeremy!" I ran after him as he picked up the towel and his clothes. "Jeremy, what's your problem?"

"He's my friend, Maddy." Jeremy moaned.

"Oh so it's fine when Elena wants to do something because she just seems to be the perfect sister but when I want to I get ignored and hated." I screamed.

Jeremy spun round and grabbed my arm, "don't you get it? he's my friend, he's Elena's ex and he's too old for you!"

"Oh but Bonnie is just great for you. She's not my friend or too old for you huh?" I went out of line by mentioning Bonnie right now but I was angry.

"You bitch!" he spat. Then slapped me. I fell to the ground then looked up, frightened.

"Jer what the hell?" Matt shouted as he jogged up to us. "That's your sister!"

"Matt just leave it." I warned. If Jer could hit me then what could he do to Matt? "please."

"I never thought you'd turn out to be a whore." Jeremy said, looking down on me. Then he walked off.

Back at Tyler's, where Matt was staying, I sat on the sofa whilst Matt tended to my bleeding and now swollen lip. "I better call Damon." I stood up.

"Do you really think that's a good idea...he would kill Jeremy in his sleep." Matt warned. "Just tell him you are staying here tonight."

"Then he'd kill you in your sleep." I joked.

"Well lucky he's not invited in then." Matt smiled and pecked my lips. "I could get used to this."

"Well don't." I teased, "I'll have to go back one day."

"But for now..." he smiled and put his arms around me.

Without knowing why, I felt strangely safe now. Knowing no vampires could come in and ruin things like they always do.