Chapter 19

After about three hours of boredom, Elijah finally showed up. He was carrying a bag of McDonalds, that I could smell as soon as he opened the door, and a coffee. "Hey." I greeted, not knowing what else to say.

"Hello, Maddison." He said back, handing me the bag off food.

"What's going on? How did I get here?" I asked, eating some chips. They tasted so good.

"It's not easy to explain but I need you to come with me." Elijah said. "To New Orleans."

I nearly chocked on a chip. "What?"

He walked over to me and put a hand on my cheek. I looked into his eyes, blushing a little. The butterflies in my stomach had butterflies. "It's not safe here anymore."

"And I'll be safer in New Orleans? Without people who care about me. Without Elena...or Jeremy." I questioned.

Elijah dropped his hand and turned away from me, looking out the window. "I will explain another time. You have 3 days to pack and say goodbye to your family."

"I don't understand." I was confused, how can he expect me to leave? "I can't leave them, not now." I thought of Bonnie and how everyone was finding out about her being dead. Elena will need me...Damon needs me.

"Maddison, you're in danger and I need to protect you." He sounded frustrated now.

I laughed. "You don't need to protect me. I'm not your problem."

"Please." A strange look crossed his face. I had never known Elijah to plead. "Come with me."

"There is nothing you can do to make me change my mind. I'm not leaving my family to go and live in a city run by your brother." I spat when I said 'your brother'.

Elijah looked surprised that I would speak to him like that. "You Gilbert's are extremely difficult to control." He shook his head.

"Look...other people may fall at your knees and do whatever you say but I won't. Okay? I won't leave my family when they need me." I turned toward the door and stopped in my tracks. "Say hi to Klaus for me." I scoffed then walked out.