Chapter 17

Maddison's P.O.V

The next morning, I woke up in Jeremy's arms on the sofa. Matt was spread out on the other sofa and Damon was no where to be seen. I decided to go upstairs and get changed. Today I start school again.

I pulled on some black denim shorts, a white vest top and black converse. The light make up made my bags under my eyes disappear and I put on a necklace that aunt Jenna got me ages ago.

Staring in the mirror, I couldn't help but notice how tired I looked. My eyes were sad and dull. For some reason I thought back to my first day at school.

*Flashback*

"Maddison Gilbert, stop those tears and go inside." My mother kissed my forehead and pushed my toward the nursery doors lightly.

"But mommy, you're crying too." I sobbed and ran back to here. "Don't make me go. Elena said it sucks."

"Maddy! Watch your language." Aunt Jenna handed me my small hello kitty lunch box and straightened my ponytail.

Fear rose in me as I watched tons of children flood through the gates. My fear settled when I noticed my twin running up to me. "Come on Smelly!" Jeremy grabbed my hand and pulled me away.

*present day*

I pulled my hair into the same high ponytail that my mother made me wear to school everyday when I was younger and blinked back some tears.

I turned to face Damon when I heard a knock on my door. "You ready, Vamp bait." He leant against my door frame.

Standing up and grabbing my bag and raised an eyebrow, "Vamp bait?"

"Yeah. You know. Silas bait." He said. Wow, he must of thought about that for a long time.

"He doesn't think of himself as a vampire. He thinks they are pathetic." I pointed out and smirked.

There was an awkward silence for a few seconds until I spoke, "Damon, I think we should have a memorial. For Bonnie."

He thought about it for a second, "yeah."

"And for other loved ones we've lost." I added and smiled sadly at him.

He nodded, "Okay. I'll call Elena while you're at school." Damon frowned and sighed. "Why did it have to be her, Maddison? Why Bonnie?"

My eyes began to get watery and I pulled him into a hug. "I don't know..." I pulled away and head off for school.

*A few hours later*

Lunch was boring and I couldn't find Jeremy anywhere. So basically I was walking around the school like a loner until I sped round the corner and bumped into someone, causing me and the stranger to drop our books. "Shit!" I said and shook my head.

"Sorry." A handsome boy that I'd never seen before muttered. When he recognised me he smiled, "You're Jeremy's twin sister, Maddison, right?"

"Yeah, you know him?" I asked, trying to make convosation. His eyes were a beautiful green and his light brown hair was slightly ruffled.

"He beat up my sisters boyfriend like two periods ago." He smirked. "I'm Adrian by the way."

I nearly got sidetracked by his perfect features when I realised what he said, "Beat someone up?" I gawked.

"Don't worry, it was only a punch or two and he didn't get caught." Adrian stuck up for him. It's nice to know someone has his back.

I sighed in relief. "Thank God." most people today have been hating on him because they all think he faked his death and ran away.

"He's in the basket ball court." He said, "I'm actually heading there now so..."

We walked there and talked about what lessons we shared and we happened to share quite a lot. Math, Gym, History and French.

When we reached the basket ball court, Jer was with a boy I recognise but didn't know. About three other guys where there and a group of around five girls. I'm guessing it's Adrian's sisters boyfriend because he was getting all close to my brother. Too close for my liking. I rushed over in time to stop him from pushing Jeremy into the fencing around the court.

"Step away now!" I warned the guy that I think was called James. I had one hand on my twins chest, holding him back and the other hand by my side clenched in a fist.

"Oo, the suicidal emo kid has his baby sister sticking up for him. I'm so scared." He said sarcastically and faced me, "Move out of the way. I don't wanna hit girls but you get in the way and-"

"You touch my sister and I will kill you." Jeremy shouted, he was much stronger than me to I had to let him to and just stood infront if him anyway.

"No. Jeremy let him hit me. See what comes his way if he does." I raised an eyebrow, not a tiny but scared. There is no doubt he would hit me. I just wanted a reason to use my cool self defence skills on a human and not a vampire that I'd definitely lose against.

"You think I won't, little bitch?" He got right up in my face and Adrian stepped forward.

"Jaimie, Man step back now." Adrian touched his shoulder. Oh, so he's Jaimie now James. Same thing.

Jaimie obviously didn't like that Adrian touched him so he moved away from me and swung at Adrian. Without even thinking, I grabbed Jaimie's wrist from mid air and held it tight behind his back. Then I kicked the weak spit in the back of his leg and he was kneeling before me, I walked to the front of him and smiled a cruel smile.

"You gonna hit me? Just do it?" Jaimie said, obviously humiliated that all of his friends watched a girl take him down to his knees.

"No. I'm not gonna hit you." I laughed and he looked surprised. "Just remember next time you get anywhere within 10 metres of me or anyone I care about... I can kick your ass."

And with that I spun round, grabbed Jeremy and pushed he away. Adrian followed behind us.

"Hey, Maddison." Adrian stopped me and grinned. "That was awesome."

"Thank you." I said and it sounded like a question. "I think."

"I should of been the one standing up for you." He laughed, "let me make it up to you...meet you at the grill? 7 O'clock?"

I almost accepted when I realise she meant as a date. What about Matt? What about the memorial? I wrote down my number and told him to give me time to sort some things out.

After all of that I had to admit I felt pretty bad ass. Watch out high school, the Gilbert twins are back.