Chapter 17 - His Eyes.

Lennon.

“Lennon? What are you doing?” Paul asked, standing up from his desk and walking towards me. I looked back at Harry whose face was emotionless. Turning my attention back to Paul I waited for Harry to answer for me, because honestly I had no clue what I was doing.

“Lennon’s going to use her non violent, psychic abilities on him,” Harry spoke with a venomous tongue. The way my name rolled off his tongue felt sinister and unwelcoming. I bit my tongue to avoid spitting something just as distasteful back in his direction. I rolled my eyes as I contemplated what Paul would say.

“Oh is she now?” Paul look surprised as he raised his eyebrows, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Yep.” Harry replied sharply. “I suggest we leave them both alone, so she can work her magic or whatever she does.” 

I tutted at his obvious spitefulness. He was purposely trying to make me look stupid just to prove a point. Paul looked back and forth between Harry, myself and the other obvious person in the room, before sighing and pushing past Harry out of the door. Just before Harry closed the door he sent an evil grin in my direction and a matching wink. I gritted my teeth and narrowed my eyes at his face just before he closed the door.

I stood there for a minute, continuing to stare at the door, which remained closed. No doubt Harry was still on the other side listening in, hoping his childish plan was going to work. Deciding I probably shouldn’t waste anymore time, I rocked back and forth on my heels before spinning around completely. I walked over towards Paul’s desk and hopped up onto it.  

Looking at the face of the captive close up, properly for the first time made the impact a lot worse. The way the gang spoke of the captive I assumed it would be someone of high importance, but the man tied to a chair tightly in front of me looked like a weakling, I could probably take him out. Although it looked like someone already had. I didn’t know who he was, I had never seen him before and he looked far from a gang member. 

Jesus Christ,” I muttered to myself as I approached him to get a better look at his face which was painted black and blue with bruises, not to mention the river of red running down his forehead. He was bound tightly to the chair, the rope evidently cutting into his wrists and neck as blood ran down his body in heavy streams. His mouth wasn’t tied up however but he had yet to speak one word. No doubt he was just as confused as I was.

“I’ll be back in a minute.” I’m not quite sure why I felt the need to inform him that I was going to be coming and going. I quickly left the room, and oddly Harry wasn’t waiting at the door. In fact as I trailed into the kitchen, retrieved a clean cloth soaked in fresh water and stalked back to the office, I didn’t see a single gang member. So apparently there’s a rival ganger member in the house and everyone is off doing as they please. One minute it was a big deal and the next not so much. These people were the epitome of confusing. 

I strolled back into the office space and the man was still there, barely moving. When I walked up to him I was careful around his presence but his little movement slightly concerned me. His eyes were struggling to stay open and his breathing was slow and unenthusiastic.  

I stood in front of him, debating which part of his face I should attempt to clean up first. His eyes were swollen to the extent I assumed it was painful to open them. His lip was cut in several places as was his cheeks and forehead. He had sweat dripping down his face and neck under the light shining down on him. He took the effort to look at me and tilted his head much like a confused animal, he still didn’t speak however.