Chapter 37 - Comeuppance.

Lennon.

I smelt blood and more worryingly my own, but I was alive and there was no greater feeling than that. My head was pounding, my brain felt like it was swirling around inside my skull and I hadn’t even opened my eyes. My whole body ached, the pain from my legs was more apparent than before. The adrenaline had long gone and reality had sunk in. 

All I could hear was screaming, shouting and gunshots being fire left right and centre. I kept completely still as I opened my eyes, the only thing I saw to begin with was a pool of blood. I could feel the cut in the back of my head and with the amount of blood surrounding my face I dreaded to think what it looked like. The slightest movement enforced more pain on my already beaten and bruised body, this wasn't exactly how things were supposed to go at all. 

I shifted ever so slightly not wanting to attract any attention to myself, I hadn't been shot but there was always the possibility. These people were playing ruthless and I doubt that they would second guess shooting me, all they wanted right now was to win this said gang war whatever the outcome. Looking at the remains of a broken wooden chair I could only assume that was what had knocked me out. I had no clue whether Sykes had gotten away, in that very moment I was ready to throw any morals or beliefs out the window and shoot him point blank without a second thought. 

I shifted my head and peeked through my eyelids at the battlefield otherwise known as an empty warehouse. I refused to die in the same place my father did, especially not in the same way. I felt my heart speed up when Harry's body wasn't lying in the place I saw him drop down. I don't know where the shot hit but by the looks of the amount of blood on the floor, the bullet had hit a vein or artery. 

All I could see was men attacking each other like mere mortals. Everyone looked and sounded so angry, the tantalising screams as men took their last breaths were heart wrenching. So many people were dying because Sykes was still holding a grudge against someone who was dead. 

I snapped my jaw together and almost silently hissed as I shuffled towards the side of the warehouse where the darkness would hide me until I could figure out my next move. I had only moved a foot when my boot hit something on the floor. I halted completely and waited seconds until I was sure no one had heard or seen me. I scanned down towards my feet awkwardly and frowned when I noticed the very knife I had given to Oli previously. He was nowhere to be seen. I reached out and picked it up, gripping it tightly in my hand. I carried on moving backwards at a pace not too slow it would be pointless but not fast enough to attract attention. 

I reached the darkness and sat up on my knees, I ignored the pain in my legs and pressed my hand to the back of my head. I winced at my own touch and at how deep I could feel the wound. I took a shaky breath and brought my hand into my line of vision, it was soaked in blood, I was quite literally a walking disaster right then.

I suddenly noticed a man aiming a rifle at Niall who was on the other side of the room. I stood up and crouched down, I moved as efficiently as I could until I was feet away from him. He was facing the opposite way so I quickly pressed my hand into neck, down towards his collarbone and watched him collapse almost instantly. Niall hadn't even noticed I saved his life, he was busy shooting at someone else, but I wasn't looking for praise, everyone on The South side were predominantly saving my life. 

I carried on shuffling through the darkness, I had unstrapped the weapon from the guy who was now out cold and slung it over my body. There was still no sign if Harry, let alone Sykes. I was praying Harry had been taken away and to somewhere with medical attention. There were men ten feet apart on the flanks, I took out three more in the same way until it got to the forth guy. He was a lot taller, bulkier and stronger. He grabbed my wrist before I even reached his neck. I whimpered at his hold. One more squeeze and my bone would shatter for sure.