Chapter 27 - Punishment.

Lennon.

Whoever was about to enter through the front door stopped dead in their tracks. The door handle stopped moving and their footsteps could be heard disappearing away from the door. I sat very still in the kitchen until I could no longer hear anything. I peered around the doorframe and stared down the hallway to the entrance. I couldn’t see any shadows or figures at the door, which stumped me. 

I debated whether it was the postman returning or something peculiar but I couldn’t tell from my current position. I tiptoed through the house, checking behind me to make sure no one was around at the back door watching me. The coast was completely clear. Once I reached the front door I pressed my face against the glass on the door, which was purposely frosted over. I couldn’t see a lot, but I could however see a car. It wasn’t a Range Rover and it wasn’t a car I had seen from The South before. I started to panic at the prospect of someone watching me. There had to be someone around who owned the car, I just couldn’t see where. 

I stepped away from the door and checked all around me again – just in case. It was still eerily silent and I was evidently still completely alone. I climbed the stairs anxiously, my ears were constantly straining for any noise other than my own footsteps. There was no one around upstairs either, although I knew that after being home alone for hours. 

I found myself in the bedroom I had been held captive in the day before. The window looked onto the drive where I could see the car clearly from above the ground. My heart was still racing from the new information I had uncovered. My cheeks were red raw from crying and constantly wiping away the tears. I was tempted to wash my face with cold water but I heard the front door open properly this time.

My eyes shot wide open as I stood as still as I could humanly manage. I was stood in an awkward stance, my legs twisted at different angles but I remained still as a statue, heart beating erratically and eyes on high alert. I heard the door slam shut after whoever had walked in. I didn’t see anyone walk up the drive so they must have been round the side of the house somewhere out of my line of sight. 

I moved my arm ever so slightly so I could cover my mouth, I didn’t want to make any sound, not even the very faintest noise of air escaping through my lips. I gulped loudly however when I recognised the voice. My heart dropped into my stomach, almost literally when I recognised the screech of Jasper’s voice. Just the sound of his voice made me want to cry again, I didn’t but I was so desperate for it to be Harry or anyone from The South for that matter. 

It wasn’t the only voice I heard though. The accompanying voice was deeper and raspier but had a strong violent essence laced within his tone. I slowly moved my legs and body so I was facing the door, praying they wouldn’t come upstairs. They didn’t sound happy so I doubted they would play fair or friendly. Their voices became louder as the walked around the downstairs part of the house. 

“Have you been in here recently?”

“No, why?” Jasper asked in an apprehensive nature.

“There’s a chip in the wood next to the lock.” 

I mentally cursed myself at my clumsiness. I had been as careful as I could but I slammed the door shut with the lock still sticking out. It shut properly but with such force I banged on the wood, the lock must have knocked some of the frame off. There was a pause of silence after the last comment. They were either surveying the damage or puzzling together the pieces. I jumped slightly when I heard their voices, this time a lot more threatening. 

“Well where the fuck is she then?!” The croakier sounding man barked at Jasper. “She better not have bloody escaped.” You could hear the subtle threat in the undertone of his voice.