Chapter 28 - Guilt.

Harry.

I was diving out of the car before it had even stopped. Three days with no clues, no leads, no vital information but then one single letter changed everything. The tarmac on the motorway was disappearing under the car as it sped along getting closer by the second. They had been good, very good. We were right, they had left London, but no one had suspected Dover of all the places. It was almost too obvious, but that’s why they chose it. 

But they weren’t that good, Lennon was smarter, more cunning than they knew. It was silent around the kitchen as we all ate our breakfast in silence. Zayn had been clicking away on his MacBook, sighing in frustration as nothing new came up. We’d sent out a search party in The East, but nothing. Their warehouse was even empty, either they were moving out of London or something more dangerous. If they were relocating in London that meant we had to survey them until we knew all their trading areas again, we needed to stay on top of them for our own safety. 

Perrie picked up the pile of letters on her way to the kitchen; the skip in her step had been missing since Lennon had been taken. Everyone was on edge; no one was acting like themselves. We all knew something big was going to happen, and it wasn’t just rescuing Lennon. 

She stopped in the doorway shuffling through the mail, muttering under her breath at each envelope until the last one. I stopped chewing my food, as did everyone else as she stared, mouth wide open at the last one. She then looked up, her eyes finding mine straight away. She didn’t need to say anything, I reached for the envelope instantly. I wasted no time in tearing it open, the word urgent scrawled on the front sent my heart racing. Seconds after that we were sprinting out the front door, on our way to Dover. 

I was annoyed and frustrated we hadn’t worked out her location ourselves. Being several steps behind was aggravating and something we weren’t used too. The East had to have been planning this for a while to be this prepared. We had all gathered that something deeper was lying underneath the current mess. They wanted Lennon for a reason and it wasn’t just to torture her.

Liam was second out of the car, neither of us bothering to close the doors behind ourselves. Louis sat in the drivers seat, keeping the engine running, ready for a quick getaway. The hour and a half journey had been completed in just over half an hour, but it was still too long for my own liking. This wasn’t how things were supposed to work, I should have rescued her days ago, as soon as she was taken, but she was the one doing the hard work.

There were no other cars in the driveway and the outside of the house was dead, completely silent and still. There were no signs of nature, let alone any other humans. Paul stayed back at the house, along with the girls ready for our arrival back. We warned them we wouldn’t be long. 

I ran up the gravel drive between the car and the house and scouted the area, Liam, Niall and Zayn in tow. “No one’s home,” Zayn spoke, concluding all our own thoughts. I don’t even know why I attempted to open the front door, it was more than obvious it would be locked. 

Liam slammed his shoulder onto the wooden door but it didn’t budge an inch. He attempted again but with no avail. We had little time to waste so I smashed my hand straight through the glass window on the door. It shattered instantly and fell harshly to the floor. My fist oozed with blood but with the adrenaline in my body I couldn’t feel a thing. I unbolted the locks with my hand through the smashed glass and forcefully pushed the door open. 

We all stopped dead when the piercing sound of high-pitched alarm screeched throughout the house. I took my handgun out from behind my back where it was dug underneath my belt. The others all appeared to be to do the same, everyone of us on high alert. The house looked barely lived in, the walls were white and the only essence of life was the photographs on the wall. We knew we were in the right place when we spotted Jasper and Sykes in almost every picture.