Ch. 1

"Just go to sleep Mama." I told the 45 year old woman.

"That's what your daddy used to say!" She wailed and started one of her episodes again.

My dad died 4 years ago when I was 15 and I was pretty torn up but then again I wasn't, I didn't see him really often, only like once a month. He lived in New York and Mama practically lived with him, leaving me here in Florida by myself.

"Come here mama." I said pulling her into my warm embrace. I rubbed her back softly as she slowly calmed down. This was routine ever since dad died.

I would come home from school and comfort her, at times she would pull me out of an exciting class at school just so I could comfort her and make her feel better.

By the end of high school I was absent so much that I barely graduated with a 2.2 gpa. But I didn't complain, I just tried to understand how she was feeling. She always told me to put others before
Myself.

So that leads us to the current situation, I am now 19 and have never been a relationship ever. I had zero friends and I never bothered with boys. I was always busy, either comforting my mom or listening to my sisters problems.

All in all you could just say I was that person. I am that one girl that has listened to every one and their problems, I was there for everyone but no one was there for me.

I led my mama to the nearest couch and set her down to sleep. I had to get ready for work.

I just got moved up to general manager at Walmart and even though it wasn't an ideal job, I made do. I don't complain. It was better than nothing.

I took a quick shower and got on my uniform and headed out.

"Carter, I need your help." Sharice one of the cashiers said as soon as I clocked in.

"Sure, what's the problem?" I asked with the most fake smile I could come up with.

"This rude ass nigga tryna tell me how to do my job." She said smacking her lips.

I really didn't like her that much but she's never done anything to me so it doesn't even matter.

"Hi, what's seems to be the problem?" I asked walking up to a very very attractive guy. He was just really handsome.
He looked at me for a second then spoke.

"There's no problem now." He says licking his lips.

I stood there for a second with a huge smile on my face before I dealt with the problem at hand.

I put all his groceries in bags and walked around the counter to apologize for the inconvenience.

I extended my arm and was met half way by his very tattooed arm.

"Next week, when I come herr, I wantchu at the counter shawd." He said holding on to my arm a little longer than necessary.

This is where it all begins, for the past two months, he has been coming to the exact same register and he would always ask for me, Carter Nelson.